UWA policy library
At UWA, our policies recognise our diversity and are developed to be inclusive. All policies in this library apply to the entire University Community, regardless of identity, including but not limited to people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community, people living with disabilities and people of all genders. The following documents provide some basic info about the new UWA Policy Library.
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct ( 1 policy )
- Code of Conduct Policy Number: UP07/6
Respect ( 4 policies )
Decision Maker, Misconduct, Serious Misconduct
Prevention and Resolution of Bullying on Campus
Bullying, Cyber Stalking, Stalking
Policy Number: UP22/4
Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Exploitation, Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Consensual Sexual Activity, Person of Concern
Policy Number: Pending
This policy is currently under development. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Managing Misconduct Policy Number:
Integrity ( 15 policies )
Acceptable Use of IT
Policy Number: UP19/1 - This policy expresses your personal security requirements for safeguarding the University's reputation, its IT Services and IT Assets, as well as protecting your digital identity, security and online experience.
Acceptable Use of IT, Digital Identity, IT Services, Regulated Digital Content
Capital Debt Management
Policy Number: UP09/12
Borrowing Costs, Capital Funding, Debt Services Costs, Debt Service Coverage, Endowment Investment Assets, Gearing Ratio, Identified Restricted Assets, Investment Assets, Outside Funds, Restricted Assets, Self-supported Capital Assets, University Supported Capital Assets, Unrestricted Assets, Unrestricted Income, Real Property Leasehold Interest, Long Term Real Property Leasehold Interests, Minimum Level of Unrestricted Funds
Policy Number: UP19/2 - The Cyber Security Policy commits the University to preserving the security of its IT Assets and IT Services, and expresses risk-based cyber security practices.
Cyber Security, Cyber Security Controls, Cyber Security Management Framework, IT Assets, IT Incident, IT Resilience, Mobile Device, University Network, Web Application
Policy Number: UP22/7
This policy establishes the Delegations Framework.
Approved by Senate
Endorsed by the Vice-Chancellor
Administrator — University Secretary
Delegation, Delegate, Delegations Framework, Delegations Procedures, Delegations Guidelines, Instrument of Delegation
Policy Number: This policy is currently being developed and is in Phase 3 - Project Plan
Policy Number: UP20/1
The Finance Policy expresses the financial practices of the University that have been put in place to improve how we manage financial commitments, improve our financial performance and safeguard University Funds for the support of research, teaching and community engagement. This policy is designed to be read with the financial control documents which can be found on the intranet site (see link below).
Asset, Attractive Item, Expenditure, Financial Commitment, Intangible Asset, Private Travel, Revenue, Senate Member, Student Travel Expenditure, Travel, Travel Expenditure, University Funds
- Honorary Degrees and Chancellor's Medal Policy Number: UP21/1
Policy Number: UP20/2 - This policy provides the definitions, obligations and responsibilities for securing information based on its risk, legal requirements and business value.
Business Capability, Business System Owner, Information Custodian, Information Owner, Information Power User, Information Protection, Information Steward, Information User, University Information, University Information Management System
- Investment Policy Number: UP09/13
Policy Number: UP22/14
The policy is about making sure General Counsel is informed about, and can coordinate, Legal Services for the entire University including the reporting of claims and potential claims against the University.
Approved by the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
Endorsed by the Director Governance and General Counsel.
Administrator — Managing Counsel.
Policy Number: UP20/4
This policy establishes the Policy Framework and expresses the practices for policy development and management.
Minor Amendments made 2 May 2022.
- Policy Framework Policy (doc, 262 KB)
- Policy Framework Guideline (doc, 2 MB)
- Policy Management Procedure (doc, 668 KB)
- Policy Assessment Control Document (doc, 197 KB)
- PMCG Terms of Reference (doc, 347 KB)
Policy, University Procedure, Operational Procedure, Guideline, School Protocol, Control Document, Policy Approver, Policy Steward, Policy Administrator, Process Expert, Process Owner, Policy Development, Policy Refresh, Policy Review, Policy Rescission, Minor Amendment, Administrative Policy, Academic Policy, Institutional Policy
Policy Number: UP20/6 - This policy operationalises the principles and practices of the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research at UWA.
This policy promotes the adoption of the principles and practices of the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (the Research Code), and to express what is meant by responsible conduct or Research.
Approved by Academic Council
Endorsed by DVC Research
Administrators — AD Research Operations
- Research Integrity Policy (doc, 270 KB)
- Research Integrity Guideline (docx, 1 MB)
- Authoriship and Authorship Disputes Procedure (doc, 537 KB)
- Defence Trade Controls Guideline (docx, 253 KB)
- Use of Animals in Research and Teaching Guideline (doc, 236 KB)
- Research Integrity Advisors Guideline (docx, 254 KB)
- Autonomous Sanctions Guideline (docx, 1 MB)
Author, Authorship, FAIR Principle, Open Access, Research, Research Adjunct Employee, Research Integrity, Research Integrity Advisor, Research Misconduct, Research Student, Researcher, Sponsor, Peer Review
Policy Number: UP21/16
This new Risk Policy replaces UP12/1 .
Risk, Risk Management Framework, Risk Appetite, Risk Assessment, Strategic Risk, Compliance Risk, Operational Risk, Project Risk
Tobacco Industry Funding
Policy Number: UP21/2 - This policy prohibits the University from receiving direct funding from the Tobacco Industry and replaces UP07/11.
- UWA Code for the Protection of Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom Policy Number: UP20/8 The University is committed to freedom of speech and academic freedom as fundamental to the conduct of a democratic society and to the quest for intellectual, moral and material advance in the human condition. This code is adopted in support of that commitment.
- Acceptable Use of IT Policy Number: UP19/1 - This policy expresses your personal security requirements for safeguarding the University's reputation, its IT Services and IT Assets, as well as protecting your digital identity, security and online experience.
Inclusion and Diversity ( 7 policies )
Disability and Medical Conditions
Policy Number: UP12/12
Disability, Fit for Work, Inherent Requirement, Reasonable Adjustment, Universal Design
Diverse Sexualities and Genders
Policy Number: UP12/10 - This policy is under assessment by the LGBTIQA+ Working Group and currently in Phase 1 - Triage
Affirming Gender, Bisexual, Gay, Gender Identity, Heterosexuality, Intersex, Lesbian, Sexual Identity, Transgender
- Gender Balance on Committees Policy Number: UP07/09
Inclusion and Diversity
Policy Number: This policy is currently being developed and is in Phase 2 - Project Brief
Policy Number: UP10/8
Inherent Requirement, Mental Health, Mental Health Literacy, Mental Health Problem, Mental Illness, Reasonable Adjustment
Policy Number: UP16/1
Affirmed Gender, Gender, Sex, Transgender, Transition
Policy Number: UP19/5 - It is unlawful to discriminate against a person with a disability by excluding access to information and services, including those delivered online. This policy established the support of web accessibility at UWA in an effort to reduce barriers to education and information.
Web Accessibility, Disability, Reasonable Adjustment, Emergency Remote Teaching, University Online Learning Content, University Public Web Content
- Disability and Medical Conditions Policy Number: UP12/12
Communication and Official Information ( 4 policies )
- All Staff Email Policy Number: UP12/30
Policy Number: UP14/10 - This policy upholds the University's aim to apply the Australian Privacy Principles to its management of your information.
Personal Information, Sensitive Information, Information Privacy
- Intellectual Property Policy Number: UP07/49
- Social Media Policy Number: UP11/22 - This policy is currently being refreshed and is in Phase 6 - Drafting
Recordkeeping ( 1 policy )
Policy Number: UP07/157 - This policy expresses the information retention practices for the University and supports consistency in recordkeeping. This policy was previously named Records Management Policy.
Archival Record, Information Retention, Metadata, Non-record, Open Data, Record, Record Disposal Authority, Recordkeeping, Record Management, Records in Place, Restricted Access Archive, System of Record, University Archives, University Information Management System, University Record, Vital Records
- Information Retention Policy Number: UP07/157 - This policy expresses the information retention practices for the University and supports consistency in recordkeeping. This policy was previously named Records Management Policy.
Fraud and Corruption ( 2 policies )
- Fraud and Corruption Policy Number: UP08/4 - This policy is currently being reviewed and is in Phase 7 - Delivery
Public Interest Disclosure
Policy Number: UP22/8
- Public Interest Disclosure Policy (doc, 235 KB)
- Public Interest Disclosure Guideline (doc, 233 KB)
- Public Interest Disclosure Procedure (docx, 411 KB)
Detrimental Action, Public Interest Disclosure, Public Interest Information, PID Subject, PI Discloser
Conflicts of Interest ( 4 policies )
- Conflicts of Interest Policy Number: UP12/32 - This policy is currently being reviewed and is in Phase 7 - Delivery
Gifts Benefits and Hospitality
Policy Number: This policy is currently being developed and is in Phase 6 - Drafting
Investigator Financial Conflicts of Interest
Policy Number: UP20/10 - This policy upholds our requirement to design, conduct and report on research funding under Public Health Service grants and cooperatives agreements to be free from bias. This policy is provisionally approved and will be submitted to Academic Board in 2021.
Conflicts of Interest, Financial Conflicts of Interest, Significant Financial Interest, Investigator
- Professional and Personal Relationships in the Workplace Policy Number: UP07/14 - This policy is currently being assessed for rescission as part of the Conflicts and Interest Policy review, which is in Phase 6 - Drafting.
Complaints ( 1 policy )
Policy Number: UP22/6
This policy is about making a complaint about the University or members of the University Community. Anyone can make a complaint in good faith on a matter within the University's authority to deal with.
Complaint, Complainant, Respondent
- Public Complaints Policy Number: UP22/6
Academic Management policies ( 10 policies )
- Academic Quality Assurance Framework Policy Number: UP22/1
- ARC and NHMRC Fellows Policy Number: UP07/175
- Award of the Title of Emeritus Professor Policy Number: UP07/118
- Course and School Review Policy Number: UP20/9
- Honorary Appointments Policy Number: UP07/263
- Indirect Cost Recovery on Research Grants and Contracts Policy Number: UP07/2
- Research Entities Policy Number: UP21/17
- Senior Honorary Fellow and Senior Honorary Research Fellow Policy Number: UP07/177
- Structure of the Academic Year Policy Number: UP14/4
- Visiting Appointments Policy Number: UP07/178
Employee Entitlements ( 22 policies )
- Bonus Payments Policy Number: UP07/216
- Clinical and Dental Loadings Policy Number: UP07/219
- Discretionary Allowances and Payments Policy Number: UP07/209
- Distinction Allowance Policy Number: UP07/215
- English Language Training Leave Policy Number: UP07/231
- Flexible Work and Leave Practices Policy Number: UP09/3
- Higher Duties Allowance Policy Number: UP07/211
- Home Based Work Policy Number: UP07/203
- Hours of Work Policy Number: UP07/261
- Leave Policy Number: UP16/6
- Market Allowance Policy Number: UP07/212
- Merit Allowance Policy Number: UP07/214
- Overpayment Policy Number: UP07/262
- Parental Leave Policy Number: UP07/223
- Performance Allowance Policy Number: UP12/15
- Retention Allowances Policy Number: UP12/16
- Reward and Recognition Policy Number: UP12/14
- Rural Clinical School of WA Family Friendly Travel Assistance Policy Number: UP11/4
- Salary Packaging Policy Number: UP07/192
- Salary Progression Policy Number: UP07/218
- Starting Salaries Policy Number: UP07/207
- Supported Wage System Policy Number: UP07/190
Professional Development ( 9 policies )
- Academic Sabbatical Policy Number: UP15/3
- Acting Arrangements Policy Number: UP07/200
- Additional Responsibilities Allowances Policy Number: UP07/210
- Career Mobility Policy Number: UP07/247
- Feedback Tools for Personal Development and Performance Evaluation Policy Number: UP11/44
- Further Education for Employees Policy Number: UP07/235
- Incremental Progression Policy Number: UP07/258
- Staff Development Grants Scheme Policy Number: UP07/147
- Transfers and Secondments Policy Number: UP07/198
Talent ( 19 policies )
- Academic Appointments Policy Number: UP07/163
- Achievement Relative to Opportunity Policy Number: UP13/3
- Advertising Policy Number: UP07/160
- Appointment of Mid-career and Senior Fellows Policy Number: UP11/45
- Attraction Allowance Policy Number: UP07/213
- Casual Appointments Academic Policy Number: UP07/184
- Casual Employment Professional and General Policy Number: UP11/5
- Changing the Status of Appointments Policy Number: UP07/196
- Employment Checks Policy Number: UP09/14 - This policy used to be called National Police Checks. It has been updated to include Working with Children Checks and Financial Checks as well.
- Fast Track Appointments Policy Number: UP08/2
- Fixed Annual Remuneration Contracts Policy Number: UP15/2
- Immigration Policy Number: UP07/179
- Job Sharing Policy Number: UP07/193
- Pre-retirement Contracts Policy Number: UP11/14
- Probation and Confirmation of Academic Employees Policy Number: UP07/254
- Probation Professional and General Employees Policy Number: UP07/197
- Recognition of Prior Service Policy Number: UP07/194
Policy Number: This policy is currently being developed and is in Phase 6 - Drafting.
- Selection for Appointment Policy Number: UP07/158
Arts and Culture ( 9 policies )
- Berndt Museum Collection Policy Number: UP17/2
- Cruthers Collection of Womens Art Policy Number: UP14/16
Policy Number: This policy is currently being developed as part of a review of the University's arts and culture policies and is in Phase 6 - Drafting.
- Deaccession and Removal of Works of Art Policy Number: UP17/1
- Display of Museum Artworks Policy Number: UP13/1
- Flag Protocol Policy Number: UP16/7
- Memorial Services on Campus Policy Number: UP16/2
- Naming Rights for Academic Positions Facilities and Landscape Features Policy Number: UP07/126
- UWA Art Acquisitions Policy Policy Number: UP16/9
Engagement ( 1 policy )
Policy Number: UP21/9 - this new policy has replaced UP07/204 Professional and Consultative Work Policy.For information on UWA Consult and to undertake Consultancy Work, please visit the UWA Consult using the link below, or contact - email@example.com
- Consultancy Policy (doc, 243 KB)
- Consultancy Guideline (doc, 368 KB)
- Expert Opinion Guideline (doc, 264 KB)
Consultancy Work, University Consultant, University Consultancy, University Time
- Consultancy Policy Number: UP21/9 - this new policy has replaced UP07/204 Professional and Consultative Work Policy.For information on UWA Consult and to undertake Consultancy Work, please visit the UWA Consult using the link below, or contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
Advancement ( 1 policy )
Gift Acceptance and Governance
Policy Number: UP21/10
This policy helps to ensure UWA has a transparent, consistent and integrated approach to the solicitation and acceptance of philanthropic gifts, meetings its legal obligations as a Designated Gift Recipient and the governance of philanthropic gifts across the University.
- Gift Acceptance and Governance Policy (doc, 266 KB)
- UWA Donor Charter (doc, 350 KB)
- GGC Terms of Reference (doc, 358 KB)
- Gift Acceptance and Agreement Control Document (doc, 198 KB)
- Bequest Confirmation and Acceptance Control Document (doc, 196 KB)
Asset, Attractive Item, Authority Band, Bequest, Bequest Donor, Conflicts of Interest, Copyright, Donor, Endowment, Gift, Gift-in-kind, Intangible Property, Intellectual Property, Money, Personal Information, Philanthropic Giving, Prize, Scholarship, Trust, University Funds
- Gift Acceptance and Governance Policy Number: UP21/10 This policy helps to ensure UWA has a transparent, consistent and integrated approach to the solicitation and acceptance of philanthropic gifts, meetings its legal obligations as a Designated Gift Recipient and the governance of philanthropic gifts across the University.
Internationalisation ( 1 policy )
Policy Number: UP22/2
This policy reduces our risk exposure from Foreign Interference by establishing a Foreign Interference Governance Framework, including reporting and declaration requirements, as well as providing security around our international agreements.
- Foreign Interference Policy (docx, 144 KB)
- Foreign interference notification procedure - for staff and students (docx, 30 KB)
- International Activity Declaration Procedure (docx, 29 KB)
Foreign Interference, Foreign Influence, International Activity
- Foreign Interference Policy Number: UP22/2
Medical School ( 1 policy )
Medical Student Involvement in Patient Care
Medical students working in clinical environments are expected to be familiar with the WA consent to treatment policy, the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights, the MD Professionalism workbook on Learning Management System (LMS), and this protocol.
- Medical Student Involvement in Patient Care Policy Number:
Student Administration policies ( 24 policies )
Policy Number: UP21/12
This policy replaces UP07/21 Academic Conduct Policy.
- Academic Integrity Policy (doc, 204 KB)
- Schedule 1 Penalties Matrix Coursework (doc, 108 KB)
- Schedule 2 Penalties Matrix HDR Candidates (doc, 92 KB)
- Schedule 3 Procedures Final (doc, 97 KB)
- Guidelines Assessment Cover Sheet for Students (doc, 206 KB)
- Thesis Front Sole Author (doc, 599 KB)
- Guidelines for the Editing of Research Theses (doc, 67 KB)
Academic Integrity, Academic Literacy, Academic Misconduct, Course Material, Editorial Assistance, Editorial Intervention, Ethical Scholarship, Ghost Writing, Sharing of Course Material
- Academic Progress Policy Number: UP11/26
- Admission Coursework Policy Number: UP16/5
- Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarships Policy Number: UP17/4
- Cohort Monitoring Policy Number: UP22/3
- Credit Transfer Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning Policy Number: UP11/34
- Establishment and Award of Scholarships Policy Number: UP11/43
- Fees - Payment and Refund of Tuition Fees for Domestic Postgraduate Students Policy Number: UP07/122
- Fees - Setting Amending and Monitoring Tuition Fees for Domestic Postgraduate Students Policy Number: UP14/1
- Fitness to Study Policy Number:
- Graduation - Academic Dress Policy Number: UP11/49
- Incidental Student Fees and Charges Policy Number: UP07/20
- International Student Fees Policy Number: UP21/3
- International Student Mobility Outbound Policy Number: UP16/4
- Non-award Course Fees for Domestic Students Policy Number: UP07/121
- Prizes Policy Number: UP14/15
Refund of Tuition Fees for International Students
Policy Number: UP21/18
Census Date, Course, Commencing International Student, Continuing International Student, International Student, International HDR Student, Packaged Course, Program, Start Date, Teaching Period, Tuition Fees, Unit, Refund
- Review and Appeal of Academic Decisions for Courses Managed by the Graduate Research School Policy Number: UP18/4
- Review and Appeal of Academic Decisions Relating to Students Policy Number: UP15/1
- Rule Waiver Policy Number: UP21/6
- Special Consideration Policy Number: UP11/23
- Student Complaint Resolution Policy Number: UP07/98
- Student Enrolment Policy Number: UP18/5
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy Number: UP07/132
- Academic Integrity Policy Number: UP21/12
Corporate Social Responsibility ( 1 policy )
Corporate Social Responsibility
Policy Number: UP22/13
The policy is aligned to the University's sustainable environments enabling plan of the UWA Strategic Plan and establishes our Corporate Social Responsibility practices.
Approved by Senate
Endorsed by the Vice-Chancellor
Administrator — Chair of the Sustainability Committee
Corporate Social Responsibility, Modern Slavery, Procurement
- Corporate Social Responsibility Policy Number: UP22/13
Facilities and Services ( 4 policies )
- Acquisition of Real Property Policy Number: UP10/7
- Alterations to Buildings Policy Number: UP13/10
- Management of University Space Policy Number: UP13/11
- Permits Policy Number: UP07/79
Wellbeing ( 11 policies )
Alcohol and Other Drugs
Policy Number: UP09/5
Policy Number: UP12/2
Supporting the spirituality of students at UWA is harmonious with the University's founding motto — “Seek Wisdom”; and its values of encouraging open exchange of ideas and thought, and fostering openness, honesty, mutual understanding, fairness, trust, and responsibility in social, moral and academic matters.
The University is committed to supporting students with a diversity of cultural, religious and non-religious backgrounds and promotes interfaith conversation and collaboration wherever possible.
Approved by the Vice-Chancellor
Endorsed by the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Administrators — AD Student Success and Wellbeing
Policy Number: UP22/5
The University of Western Australia has a zero tolerance approach to Child Exploitation. The University has strict working with children practices and promotes cultural safety for children across teaching, learning, research and community engagement endeavours.
Approved by the Vice-Chancellor.
Endorsed by the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Administrators — AD Research Operations, AD Student Success and Wellbeing, and AD Talent Acquisition, Organisation Development and Workforce Diversity.
- Child Protection Policy (doc, 244 KB)
- NCCHC Guideline (docx, 251 KB)
- Working with Children Code of Conduct (docx, 362 KB)
Child, Working with Children, Child Safety, Child Related Work, Child Abuse, Child Exploitation
- Children on Campus Policy Number: UP07/7
- Injury Management Policy Number: UP07/153
International Students Under 18
Policy Number: UP21/14
- International Students Under 18 Policy (doc, 245 KB)
- International Students Under 18 Accommodation and Welfare Guideline (doc, 249 KB)
Safety and Health
Policy Number: UP21/15
- Serious Student Incident Policy Number: UP22/16
- Smoking Policy Number: UP07/150
Policy Number: UP10/03
Endowment, Student, Non-student, Research Associate, University Owned Residential Property
- Uniforms and Protective Clothing Policy Number: UP07/220
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy Number: UP09/5
Teaching and Research Training
Course Management ( 17 policies )
Policy Number: This policy is currently under development.
- Coding System for Courses Unit Sets and Units Policy Number: UP07/113
- Courses - Articulation Policy Number: UP12/27
- Courses - Award Certification Policy Number: UP21/7
- Courses - Coursework Dissertation Policy Number: UP15/6
- Courses - Experiential Learning Policy Number: UP17/5
- Courses - Institutional Collaborative Student Pathways Policy Number: UP18/1
- Courses - Postgraduate Coursework Policy Number: UP15/7
- Courses - Research Thesis Policy Number: UP15/8
- Courses - Transition Arrangements Policy Number: UP11/36
- Courses - Undergraduate Policy Number: UP17/3
- Coursework Units Policy Number: UP21/5
- Micro-credentials Policy Number: UP19/4
- Setting and Managing Student Quotas in Coursework Courses Policy Number: UP20/3
- Summer School Policy Number: UP07/133
- Teaching Periods Policy Number: UP14/2
- Timetabling Policy Number: UP10/6
- Academic Calendar Policy Number: This policy is currently under development.
Learning and Teaching ( 5 policies )
- Assessment Policy Number: UP15/5
Higher Education Academic Scholarship
Policy Number: UP21/11
Academic Scholarship, Discipline, Research Active, Teaching Staff
- Lecture Capture Policy Number: UP10/9
- Student Experience of Learning and Teaching Policy Number: UP20/7
Students Unit Reflective Feedback Survey Data and its Dissemination
Policy Number: UP13/9 Student Unit Reflective Feedback Survey Data and Its Dissemination Policy has now been rescinded. Please note: UP20/7 Student Experience of Learning and Teaching has now gone live.
Research Training ( 5 policies )
- Adequate Research Preparation Policy Number: UP11/25
- Examination of Higher Degree by Research Candidates Policy Number: UP18/3
- Graduate Research Training Policy Number: UP12/11
- Higher Doctorates Policy Number: UP11/8
Joint Doctoral Degree
Policy Number: UP21/13
- Joint Doctoral Degree Policy (doc, 125 KB)
- Schedule 1 Joint Doctoral Degree (doc, 60 KB)
- Expression of Interest for Joint PhD Agreement (doc, 100 KB)
Cotutelle, Dual Award, Home University, Host University, Individual Candidature Agreement, Joint Award, Joint Doctoral Program Agreement