What to bring

Western Australia has strict customs and quarantine laws, which do not allow you to bring a variety of animal, farm and wildlife products into the state.

The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources is responsible for managing Australia’s biosecurity system and reducing the risk of pests and diseases arriving in the country. A strong biosecurity system helps protect Australia’s unique environment, agricultural sector and reputation as a safe and reliable trading nation.

Before leaving home, be sure to check Australian biosecurity import conditions and identify items you cannot bring or send and/or items that you will need to declare at the airport on arrival These may include certain types of food. Visit the DAFF website for advice on what can be brought in or sent to Australia.

During your flight you’ll be required to complete an Incoming Passenger Card that asks what you are bringing to Australia and the places you have visited. It is a legal document and a false statement may result in a penalty. Avoid, at all costs, drugs, weapons, explosives and other illegal imports, and do not carry other people’s goods or parcels unless you are absolutely sure of their contents.


 important documents pic

Make sure you bring your:

  • Passport
  • e-Visa
  • Airport pickup form
  • Current academic transcripts of tertiary studies (Study Abroad/Exchange Students)
  • UWA documents – Offer letter and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Prescriptions for any regular medication
  •  Medical history
  •  Driver's licence
  •  Credit or debit card

If you are bringing school-age children, make sure you have their:

  • Birth certificates
  • Immunisation records
  • Education records

Clothing and personal items

Perth has a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cool, wet winters.

  • November to April is warm to hot and dry (average 20C min - 35C max).
  • May to October is cool to cold and wet (average 7C min - 19C max).

The dress code on campus is informal.

  • In summer, lightweight clothes and sandals or runners are sufficient.
  • In winter, heavier clothing, including woollen jumpers/sweaters and/or a winter coat or waterproof jacket, is recommended. A warm pair of shoes or boots is the best choice of footwear.
  • In spring and autumn, jeans with a lightweight jacket or jumper should suffice.

Generally, the cost of clothing and footwear in Australia is comparable to western countries but more expensive than Asian countries. However, it is possible to find bargains during sales in the larger stores. Don’t forget to bring sportswear, swimwear and a hat for summer.

  • Alarm clock
  • Bath towel
  • Bathrobe and pyjamas
  • Calculator
  • Closed shoes, sport shoes, sandals/other casual footwear
  • Dictionary (Macquarie and Oxford are used in Australia)
  • Hairdryer, shaver (Note: You may need an adaptor for 240 volts)
  • Laptop or tablet
  • Sewing kit
  •  Spare pair of glasses and/or contact lenses and a current prescription
  • Toiletries
  • Trousers, shirts, t-shirts, shorts, undergarments and socks
  • Woollen jumper, jacket or coat

weather conditions pic


Financial arrangements

You should bring AUD$4000 to take care of your initial expenses and to cover at least the first month. It is suggested that you bring these funds as:

  • Cash: $1000
  • Bank draft or traveller's cheques: $3000

On arrival, open a bank account (if you haven’t already done so) with the $3000.

After a few weeks, you will be able to let your parents (or whoever is supporting you) know how much money to send and how often.

Some Australian banks have branches in other countries. If there is a branch in your country, open an account before you leave as this will make financial transactions more convenient once you arrive in Perth.

Duty-free concession

If you are aged 18 years or over, you are allowed to bring up to AUD$900 worth of general goods into Australia duty-free. Personal items such as clothing, footwear and toiletries (excluding fur and perfume) are free from duty and tax. Refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for full details. If you intend to bring a new laptop or other electrical goods which are less than 12 months old, you may be liable for customs duty and sales tax on arrival.

Alternatively, you may be required to pay a security deposit, which is refundable when you take the laptop out of the country on your departure.

custom control

Students on campus

Chat to our students

Chat to a UWA student and have your questions answered about student life at UWA, advice on courses and more.

Chat to students

Chat to our staff

Chat to a UWA staff member and have your questions answered about studying at UWA, advice on courses and more.

Chat to staff