Health requirements

It is a Department of Home Affairs requirement that international students applying for a student visa must have Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of their student visa.

Australian Government visa regulations require you to be certified medically fit and possibly vaccinated against some diseases before you leave your country.

The Australian High Commission or Embassy in your country can advise you on this.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)


You do not need OSHC if you are a:

  • Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia

You must organise your health cover before you apply for a visa.

Students may obtain Overseas Student Health Cover from the provider of their choice but UWA has a 'preferred provider' agreement with Allianz Global Assistance. UWA receives a 14 per cent administration fee from Allianz Global Assistance.

Overseas Student Health Cover is offered by a number of providers. To obtain health cover from another insurer, refer to Australian Education International's Study in Australia website for options. You are strongly encouraged to read the relevant health cover policy documents for information regarding what is and is not covered.

It is also recommended you have your eyes and teeth checked before departure. Dental work and spectacles are not covered under Overseas Student Health Cover and are relatively expensive in Australia. You can purchase cover for these ancillary services at an extra cost.

Purchasing your health cover

The University can arrange health insurance cover through Allianz Global Assistance for international students joining for the first time. This means you pay the insurance cover at the same time as your first semester tuition fee. You can order your membership card through the Allianz Global Assistance website about two weeks after you have completed your student enrolment process.

Renewal of cover

It is the student's responsibility to ensure their health cover is current at all times for the full length of their visa. To renew your health insurance, contact your health insurance provider directly. You can renew your Allianz Global Assistance online.

Enquiries and claims

A dedicated Allianz Global Assistance representative is at Student Central each day of the week, Monday to Friday 11am to 4pm.

It is your responsibility to ensure your health insurance is current at all times. Expired health cover is a violation of your student visa and exposes you to potentially high medical costs.