Think Like a Chemist
From forensics to the environment, to new materials for a sustainable future, we need to know how “things” are made and work. This micro credential will provide you with the fundamental skills and knowledge to think and solve problems like a chemist.
This micro credential introduces knowledge essential to the understanding of matter, atomic structure, the bonding of elements to form compounds, the mole concept and intermolecular forces. The micro credential include an introduction to organic chemistry, their structure and nomenclature.
There will be an on campus laboratory component which will expose you to the most advanced analytical techniques that are used to solve chemical structures. This micro credential supports Unit 1 and 2 of the ATAR Year 11 curriculum and will prepare you for success in Year 12.
Upon successful completion of this micro-credential, you'll receive:
- Two PD Points
- A Certificate of Achievement
- A UWA Professional Development Transcript, listing all successfully completed micro-credentials
- Online (asynchronous) with a required on-campus activity
On-campus: Laboratory workshops will be held at UWA, Crawley
- Tuesday 27 June 2023, 4-6pm and
- Wednesday 28 June 2023, 4-6pm
Students must attend both workshops
- Course dates
- 5 June 2023 - 30 June 2023
- Applications close
- 19 May 2023
- 4 weeks
- Total effort
- 50 hours
- Academic lead: Dr Dino Spagnoli
UWA Starter fees for 2023 –
$247.50 (inc GST) per micro-credential for students from participating partner schools
$55 (inc GST) per micro-credential for students from participating UWA Broadway Schools
- Critical information summary
This micro-credential is now full and there are no places available
- CHEMM100 - Think Like a Chemist (PDF 244KB)
What you'll learn
Understand principles and concepts related to the structure of matter, chemical bonds and chemical reactions.
Perform basic calculations involving the mole concept.
The origins of intermolecular forces.
Use basic practical skills in the manipulation and use of chemicals and standard laboratory apparatus and the interpretation of data.
Why study this course?
- Gain the fundamental skills and knowledge to think and solve problems like a chemist.
- Undertake a hands-on laboratory experience involving cutting-edge techniques used in chemistry laboratories worldwide.
How does it work?
This micro credential will involve online material and assessments as well as a hands-on laboratory experience involving cutting-edge techniques used in chemistry laboratories worldwide.
What's next after this course?
- Future study
- Students who successfully complete this micro-credential will:
- Receive a UWA Professional Development Transcript at the end of your studies, listing all completed UWA micro-credentials – great for uni entry and your resume!
- Earn 2 stackable PD Points - complete two more UWA Starter micro-credentials to earn 6 PD Points and gain credit for one unit towards selected UWA bachelor degrees.
- Gain points that can contribute towards admission to UWA via Experience-based entry.
Contact your secondary school for more information or to register for UWA Starter micro-credentials.