Copyright and teaching

Knowing when and how to use copyright material for teaching

The use of third-party copyright material for educational purposes is permitted through special statutory and voluntary education licences and exceptions within the Copyright Act 1968. Different licences and exceptions apply depending on how the material is being used and whether you are using:

  • text works (such as books, book chapters, journal articles)
  • artistic works (such as images, photographs, figures)
  • broadcasts (including webcasts of broadcasts) 
  • video works (including DVDs and online streaming videos)
  • music and sound recordings  


Assisting persons with a disability

Text works

Different copyright limits apply depending on the original material type – a print book, an ebook or a website. Before including copyright material in your PowerPoint presentations, or uploading copyright material to your LMS unit, check the copyright compliance guidelines for the LMS (at the bottom of this page).

Artistic works

An artistic work may be an image, photo, drawing, graph, table, or figure.


Video works

Music and sound recordings

Learning Management System

Information on this page has been adapted with permission from the University of Sydney. This information is provided as general information only and is not intended to be comprehensive.

Stay in touch

Contact us to receive help and support from our friendly, knowledgeable staff. You can also share your feedback or make a suggestion.