Communications and Research Skills (CARS)
CARS (Communication and Research Skills) is an online unit which assists UWA students to develop basic communication and research skills in an academic context.
All undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students who have not completed CARS in a previous course are required to complete the unit in their first semester of study. A score of 80% across the four quizzes is required for successful completion.
Eligible commencing students are automatically enrolled in CARS and the unit is available through the University’s Learning Management System.
Completion of CARS is recommended as early as possible to help you to complete your studies to the standards required; non-completion will impact your ability to graduate.
Check in your LMS for the required completion date for the CARS unit you are enrolled in.
UWA staff and students who are not enrolled in CARS can access the content for revision at any time from the links below.
- Starting Your Assessment and Finding Evidence Toolkit
Tools to get you started for planning your assessment
Finding resources for your assessment
Advice for evaluating information before using it in your assessments
How to reference in your assessment
- Writing Your Assessment Toolkit
Tips for writing different assessment types:
- Critical writing and arguments
- Writing thesis statements
- Structuring essays
- Essay introductions and conclusions
- Tips for writing an essay paragraph
Tests and quizzes
Tips for Exam preparation
Using Turnitin to submit your assessment
- Delivering Your Oral Presentation Toolkit
Tips for managing nerves and presenting
Preparing for tutorial
- Working in Teams Toolkit
Tips for working in teams and tackling group assessments
- Internet browsers
- The recommended browsers for best CARS performance are Chrome and Firefox. The modules work with mobile devices but the best experience will be on a desktop computer.
- Guide for screen reader users
- Please disregard the embedded instructions in the player as they are inaccurate. The slides will not read automatically and the Form Fields are incomplete and misleading, please Tab through the content on the slides. To make selections, press spacebar (not the up or down keys).
- Technical support
- If any of the activities don't seem to be working properly, try another browser. You can also report the issue online to AskUWA.
askUWA has an in-depth list of FAQs about CARS. You can also “Ask a Question” if you need more help.ask.uwa.edu.au
StudySmarter offers a range of workshops, drop-in sessions and online resources to help get more out of your study.StudySmarter
The University Library provides guides that can help with your research and study skills.uwa.edu.au/library