Assistance – disability and medical conditions

Through UniAccess, the University’s accessibility advisors can provide assistance to any enrolled student who wishes to disclose a disability or a chronic medical condition.

You can find information about UniAccess and the services they provide online and you can contact them via email at [email protected] or phone (+61 8) 6488 4630.

The services listed here are only some of those that are provided to students and staff with disabilities and medical conditions. You will need to register with UniAccess to be eligible for some special services; your eligibility will be shown on your Campus Card.

Available services

supporting hands icon

Borrowing and returning items

Library staff are available to assist in accessing books and research information. If it is difficult for you to come to our campus libraries, we can send items to you via the mail. A prepaid envelope will be included in the parcel for easy return. To register for this service contact UniAccess. Once registered you will be able to place requests for loans and digital scans through OneSearch.

Printing, photocopying and scanning

Use your Campus Card for printing, photocopying and scanning from multifunction devices (MFDs) which are available in all University Libraries. MFDs can be used for:

  • printing from computers and wireless devices in the library
  • photocopying printed material
  • scanning printed material

Accessible MFDs can be found on the first floor of the Barry J Marshall Library and the ground floor of Reid Library.

Assistance at other WA university libraries

All UWA staff and students have reciprocal borrowing privileges at Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and The University of Notre Dame.

To use the specialist services, facilities and equipment at one of these libraries, your Campus Card must be endorsed by UniAccess and presented at the other university library along with a signed letter of introduction from the UWA accessibility advisors at UniAccess.

Resource Rooms

Library Resource Room

Resource Room 4

There are two Resource Rooms available for students who have registered with UniAccess:

  • The Reid Library's Dickinson Resource Room is located in the southwest corner on the ground floor of the Reid Library Building.
  • The Barry J Marshall Resource Room is located on the western side of the first floor of the Barry J Marshall Library.

The rooms contain specialised study equipment and ergonomic furniture and are available for use during normal opening hours.

Both rooms are equipped with:

  • adjustable desks (sit/stand capacity)
  • lockers (for students with a medical condition impacting capacity to carry text books)
  • ergonomic chairs (adjustable for comfort and support)
  • a rest area with firm but comfy lounges (to assist with resting while on campus)
  • PCs (if unable to BYO device)
  • JAWs software (for vision impaired students)

Only the Dickinson Resource Room has magnifier/zoom text software (for vision-impaired students).

Accessibility advisors are available to assist in the use of specialist equipment and software.

Students who have specific needs for equipment or software in the Library Resource Rooms should make an appointment with a UniAccess accessibility advisor via the online booking system or by phone (+61 8) 6488 4630.


Stay in touch

Contact us to receive help and support from our friendly, knowledgeable staff. 


Find answers to library FAQs anytime