Applying to graduate

When you apply to graduate, you can choose to attend a ceremony or graduate in absentia (Latin for in or during one's absence).

Don't wait for the release of your final results or thesis examination. Apply to graduate in studentConnect when you get your email invitation and before the closing date.

Mortar board icon
Attend a ceremony
Receive your certificate at a graduation ceremony in Winthrop Hall at the Perth campus
Mail symbol
Graduate in absentia
Graduate in absentia (without attending a ceremony) and have your certificate mailed to you. Once your award is conferred in absentia, you will not have the opportunity to attend a future graduation ceremony for your award

What if I don’t apply to graduate?

On 1 March and 1 September each year, students who have not applied to graduate within two years of completing their course will be graduated in absentia, and not able to attend a future graduation ceremony for that award.

Keep in mind, the date printed on your certificate will be the date your award is conferred, not the date you completed your course. Your graduation date cannot be backdated to your completion date.

Completing your course

To graduate and receive your award certificate, you’ll need to complete your course requirements by the relevant date and in accordance with UWA’s student rules, policies and procedures. To view the dates to complete your course by, view the table on our Graduations homepage.

  • Undergraduate and postgraduate courses

    All results must be ratified by a Board of Examiners meeting before completion of a degree, diploma or certificate is official. If you have any doubts, check with your Course Advising Office that everything is in order for completion of your award.

  • Master’s by research and PhD courses

    You must complete your course requirements including the satisfactory completion of any corrections to your thesis. You are also required to have submitted your thesis to the Graduate Research School by the relevant date.

  • Combined and concurrent courses

    If you’re enrolled in a combined course, you can graduate after completing both degrees. You must complete the course requirements for both courses before you can graduate from either course.

  • Continuing into an honours year

    If you’re enrolling in honours next year, you can apply to graduate and attend a ceremony for your pass degree when you complete it. When you complete your honours degree, you can apply again to attend another ceremony.

  • Dates to complete course by

    See the Graduations table on our homepage.


    If you do not complete your UWA course requirements by the deadline to graduate in the upcoming graduation ceremonies, the following scenarios could apply:

    If you confirmed your attendance for your upcoming ceremony:

    We will move your application to the next round of ceremonies, so you won't be asked to complete another application. Provided you complete your course requirements by the appropriate date, we'll send you an email asking you to confirm your attendance at the next round of graduation ceremonies.

    It's important to check your student email regularly so you don’t miss the prompt to confirm your attendance. If we don’t receive a confirmation of your attendance your award will be conferred in absentia.

    If you're unsure of what you need to do to complete your course requirements, contact your Student Advising Office to discuss a study plan. If you're not able to attend a graduation ceremony in the next round, let us know via askUWA, and we can update your application to in absentia or move you to a future ceremony round.

    If you did not confirm your attendance for your upcoming ceremony:

    As we didn't receive confirmation that you'd be attending your ceremony, your attendance was cancelled and your award will be conferred in absentia at the next available conferral date after you complete your course. Once your award is conferred in absentia we'll post you your certificate, and you won't be able to attend a future ceremony for this award.

    If you applied to graduate in absentia:

    Once you have completed your course requirements, we'll graduate you at the next available conferral date. Once your award is conferred we'll post you your certificate, there's no further action for you to take.

    Should you have any queries about your course completion, please contact your Student Advising Office via askUWA.

    For any questions about your future graduation contact the Graduations Team via askUWA.

  • Deferred or supplementary examinations

    If you’re sitting a deferred or supplementary examination/assessment, you’ll have to attend a ceremony in the following round. This means for your Semester 1 unit/s to complete your course, you won’t be able to graduate in July, and if you’re sitting for your Semester 2 unit/s to complete your course, you won’t be able to graduate in December.

A smiling graduate outdoors in front of a sign which reads 'Congratulations graduates'

Applying to graduate

When can I apply?

When you enrolled or re-enrolled at the start of the year, you were asked to indicate when you would complete your course. If you indicated:

  • End 2021, you can expect an invitation to apply to graduate in late August 2021 (applications close 21 September 2021) 
  • Mid 2022, you can expect to receive an email invitation to apply to graduate in late March 2022 (applications close April 2022) 


If you do not receive an email in August or March, contact us via askUWA.

If you are a PhD or master’s by research student, contact us once your thesis has been classified as 'passed' or 'passed subject to correction'.

Completing the application

You’ll receive step-by-step instructions for how to complete your application to graduate in studentConnect in an email invitation from the Graduations team. Your application will include the following steps.

  • Confirming your address

    If your contact details change at any time, update them via studentConnect. If you have any problems, contact us via askUWA. Your semester address can be updated at any time and will ensure we can contact you.

  • Administrative encumbrances and outstanding debts

    It is important that you clear all administrative encumbrances prior to applying to graduate.

    • Attend a ceremony; you will not be able to do so. Once your pay your outstanding debt, you will be graduated retrospectively in absentia (without you being present) on the date you were originally scheduled to graduate, and you will not have the opportunity to attend a future graduation ceremony
    • Graduate in absentia; once you pay your outstanding debt, you will be graduated retrospectively in absentia on the date you were originally scheduled to graduate. You will not have the opportunity to attend a future graduation ceremony should you wish to do so in the future.

    Encumbrances can be added at any time, and we’ll email you if you receive an encumbrance before your graduation.

  • Confirming your name

    Adding or removing part of your name

    Your graduation certificate is a legal document and should list your full legal name (as on your birth certificate or passport). The name on your certificate cannot be changed after your award has been conferred except in limited circumstances.

    You can change your name by providing one of the 'accepted documents' listed below by the apply to graduate closing date with your full name as you wish it to be recorded by the University. Bring this document to Student Central and the team will update your name for you.

    Accepted documents:

    • Birth Certificate
    • Passport
    • Change of Name Certificate
    • Marriage Certificate

    If you live outside Perth, post or send us a scan of an original certified copy of an accepted document which has been signed by one of the following:

    • Justice of the Peace
    • Commissioner of Declarations
    • a person who is permitted to witness documents
    • Notary Public

    Rearranging your name

    When you apply to graduate, you have the option to rearrange the order of your names. You don't need to provide any documents or reason. If you choose this option and would like it applied to your other documents (for example, your transcript), contact us to let us know.

  • Multiple awards

    If you’re completing more than one course, you’ll be asked to select which course you’d like to attend a ceremony for during your application to graduate. If you’d like to attend ceremonies for both awards, you can defer your attendance for one award to the following round as it’s only possible to attend one ceremony per round. Once you complete your application to graduate, contact us so we can set this up for you. If you choose to attend both ceremonies, the date printed on your award certificate is the date your award was conferred, not the date you finished your course, so the dates on your certificates will be different.

  • Confirming your graduation details

    Checking your graduation details

    Check your course details carefully when applying to graduate, as this information will be printed on your certificate there are very limited circumstances in which a conferred award can be amended.

    Checking your intended majors/minors/specialisations/focus areas

    Check the information you have selected during your course by:

    • Logging on to studentConnect with your Student ID and Pheme password
    • Under the ENROLMENT menu, select 'Course and Unit'
    • Under the course in which you are enrolled, select 'Unit Sets'

    If the information about your majors/specialisations is not correct, change it by:

    • Logging on to studentConnect with your Student ID and Pheme password
    • Under the ENROLMENT menu, select 'Online Enrolment & Change of Enrolment'
    • Click on 'Select your Majors, Minors, Programs, Specialisations or Focus Areas'

    Contact your Faculty Student Office if you are unable to make the changes.

Graduating in absentia

You don’t need to attend a ceremony to graduate. When you apply to graduate, choose the in absentia option. There are in absentia conferrals once a month, and you’ll be allocated to the next available date after you apply to graduate and complete your course requirements.

We’ll post your award certificate to your semester address within a week of your graduation date. Certificates are posted by registered post within Australia, and DHL Courier for overseas, so allow at least 10 working days for delivery. If your certificate is returned to the University and needs to be re-sent, there will be a charge of $10 for within Australia or $25 for international courier.

Once your award is conferred in absentia, you will not have the opportunity to attend a future graduation ceremony for your award.

Confirming your attendance

Once you’ve applied to attend your ceremony, you will confirm your attendance when your ceremony has been allocated. We’ll send you an email with the details in early May for July ceremonies and early October for December ceremonies. When you receive this email, log in to studentConnect to complete your confirmation before the closing date so you don't miss the opportunity to attend.

If you don’t confirm your attendance or you cancel your attendance, you’ll have your award conferred in absentia and will not be able to attend future ceremonies for that award. If your situation changes after completing your Confirmation of Attendance, contact us before your ceremony so we can discuss your options with you.


Your full legal name will appear on your award certificate and will be read out in full at your ceremony. If your name is difficult to pronounce or you're concerned about the pronunciation, you can provide the presenter with some guidance by filling out the relevant section when confirming your attendance. If you include a nickname or abbreviation in your pronunciation, it will not be read out. Visit Pronounce Names if you're unsure how to best write your pronunciation. Do not include 'sounds like' or 'rhymes with' in your pronunciation.

After submitting your confirmation, you’ll receive an email receipt. If you don't receive this email within 24 hours, email us via askUWA so we can make sure your application and confirmation have been received.


If your guests are travelling to be at your ceremony and require accommodation, St Catherine's College offers guest apartments for bookings throughout the year. The studios and apartments are a five-minute walk to the UWA campus and Winthrop Hall.

Academic dress

Academic dress for your graduation ceremony includes a gown, hood and trencher cap (mortarboard). In keeping with the formal occasion, we suggest you wear smart personal attire that is suitable for photographs. When selecting shoes, remember you will be processing with your peers from Whitfeld Court to Winthrop Hall and will navigate a small number of stairs, including up to and down from the stage.

  • How do I order my regalia?

    Once you’ve completed your Confirmation of Attendance, you’ll receive an email from us with information and a link to order your academic dress and retrieve your complementary guest tickets for Winthrop Hall or order additional guest tickets for the livestream venues . You won’t be able to order until you’ve confirmed your attendance. If you don't receive the email within 24 hours, contact us so we can check your confirmation details.

    GFP Graduations is the University's preferred provider of academic dress. You can obtain your academic dress from any supplier as long as the academic dress complies with the University’s Statute 11. Should your academic dress not comply, GFP Graduations will supply a replacement on the day at your cost.

    Academic dress prices vary according to the award that is being conferred. Full details are available on the Academic Dress Ordering Service website.

    If you have any problems with the GFP Online Ordering Portal, please contact GFP directly:, call GFP's customer support team at Australia: 1300 360 445 - International: +61 8 8154 1388

  • When and where do I collect my regalia?

    The Regalia Collection point for December 2021 Graduations, is at Fay Gale Studio G09 and can be collected at at the specified times.


    ·         How to wear your UWA Graduation Regalia – Bachelor Degree - video

    ·         How to wear your UWA Graduation Regalia – Bachelor Degree with Honours - video

    ·         How to wear your UWA Graduation Regalia – Master Degree - video

  • I need help with my regalia!

    Getting your academic regalia on correctly can be confusing, so it’s a good idea to get advice from GFP Graduations when you collect your regalia. GFP Graduations has a 'Dress Me' station set up to assist you.  Graduations will have a "Dress Me" station, on the East side of Winthrop Hall (outside of the Hall under the Rose Window side) and will be available up until one hour before your ceremony. There will also be someone to adjust your regalia right before you go on stage.

A close up view of smiling graduates outdoors

What if I can't make it to my ceremony anymore?

If you are suddenly unable to attend, let the Graduations team know via askUWA using your student email account. When you send the email, include:

  • your student ID number
  • your full name, and
  • a statement that you:
    • are unable to attend your Graduation ceremony
    • want your award to be conferred in absentia at the ceremony 

    Once your award has been conferred in absentia you will note be permitted to attend any future ceremony for this award.

    If you experienced any extenuating circumstances or have queries about not being able to attend your ceremony, contact the Graduations team.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.