Assisting your study journey

Is a physical or mental health condition, issue or disability affecting your studies? Whether you have anxiety or depression or a learning difficulty, our UniAccess teams supports you to stay healthy during your studies and perform at your academic best, no matter whether your condition is ongoing, temporary or episodic.

UniAccess is a safe place to meet confidentially with highly qualified advisers who will listen, provide information, and work with you to come up with solutions. We’ll also keep your health documentation private and secure, and it will not be seen by your faculty, home university, or government.

Unsure if we can help? Contact us for an initial appointment and bring along your documentation. This must be completed by a health professional who supports your request for assistance. You can use an existing report from a psychologist, doctor, psychiatrist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist.

If you don't have a recent report or letter, see below for more information.

If you haven't yet met with a health professional inside or outside the University, we recommend making an appointment with UWA's Medical Centre.

We can

  • help you maximise your academic potential, including accessible course materials and special consideration
  • give advice on individual disability-related matters
  • facilitate physical access to the campus, equipment and technology
  • liaise with departments and faculties on your behalf
  • make alternative arrangements for examinations
  • discuss options you have if things aren’t going well
  • match you with student support assistants, such as note takers
  • advise on what to do if you have a grievance or want to appeal
  • support students who are carers of people with chronic medical conditions or disability
  • provide information and advice to prospective students and their families
  • you can see all of your approved adjustments by logging into Access




Making an appointment

Bring documents completed by a health professional that support your request for assistance (you can use an existing report from a psychologist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psychiatrist or GP). If you don’t have a recent report or letter, ask your doctor or health professional to complete the report below. You should also update your information on studentConnect to reflect your status as a student disclosing a medical condition or disability. If you haven’t already done so, we can do this on your behalf following your first appointment.

Book online to meet with an Accessibility Adviser to discuss your support needs. 

  • If you are a current UWA student, go to Book an appointment
  • If you are a prospective student please call the UniAccess call-back service on 6488 4630 to make an appointment
  • UniAccess offers both in-person and virtual appointments
  • Virtual appointments are conducted over the phone or through video chat using Microsoft Teams

Please bring completed Health Professional Report (see link below) to your first UniAccess appointment. 


Download the Health Professional Form [PDF 129KB]


For parents, carers and support workers

About 2000 UWA students have medical conditions and/or disability that may affect their capacity to study and their performance at UWA. Some students attend UWA with their carers and/or external support persons, such as support workers, who provide students with non-academic support. Our Information Guide contains important information on the roles and responsibilities of the University and of the carers/external support persons.

Accessing course materials


We can arrange the conversion of course materials to alternative formats, such as RTF, DAISY or Braille, for students who have a print disability.

Obtaining course materials

If you’re unable to access course material due to a lack of captioning or visual description, get in touch with us. We’ll liaise with unit coordinators to search for existing accessible formats. If these aren’t available, we’ll organise appropriate data conversion. The turnaround time for conversion is irregular, so let us know your needs as soon as you know the units you are enrolling in.

Lecture recordings

Echo360 lecture recordings provide access to your lectures in the library, computer laboratory or at home. If you require this service due to your medical condition or disability and your lectures are not currently recorded, talk to your unit coordinator or ask us to make this request on your behalf.

Other services

LMS and Unit Readings are other important tools that facilitate access for students with a range of learning needs.


If you’re likely to be hindered in your examination or test performance because of your disability or medical condition, you can apply for alternative exam arrangements. Arrangements may involve extra time, the use of specialised equipment or other accommodations.

  • Alternative exam arrangements

    Make an appointment with us as soon as you can. Meeting with our team early in the semester allows enough time to organise your arrangements well before the examination or assessment dates. To be eligible for the range of exam support we can offer, alternative exam arrangements need to be finalised at least two weeks prior to mid semester exams, and five weeks before the start of the end of semester exam period.

    Bring appropriate and current relevant medical documents or other evidence of your condition to your appointment. If you do not have documentation, have a health professional complete a report and bring this with you to your appointment.

    Discussion with you, and sometimes your medical practitioner, enables us to determine what would constitute a reasonable adjustment in an exam setting. Your faculty and the exam office are automatically notified when an alternative exam arrangement is created, so you don’t need to disclose your condition to academics or other professional staff to obtain the arrangements.

    If you are issued with alternative exam arrangements, ensure you have indicated on your enrolment/re-enrolment on studentConnect that you have a disability or medical condition.

    If your situation changes and your alternative exam arrangements are no longer appropriate, make another appointment with an Accessibility Adviser.

    Any discrepancies between what has been approved and what is on your exam timetable should be reported via askUWA to the Exams team. If you have alternative exam arrangements for mid-semester, laboratory, practical exams and/or tests, present your signed form to your unit coordinator at least two weeks before the test.

    Contact us for specialised assistance, software or equipment for these assessments.

  • Duration

    If you have temporary or fluctuating conditions, you can expect your arrangements to be reviewed regularly, or set to expire after a semester (or sooner). Part of this review process requires updated or current medical documents. Ask your doctor or health professional to complete the report (see above) to make sure your medical documents remain current.

    If you have ongoing or permanent conditions, your arrangements will remain in place for the duration of your enrolment, unless you request a review.

  • In-class assessments and tests

    You have a right to expect that your alternative exam arrangements will be applied to faculty and school-administered assessments. It is your responsibility to notify the unit coordinator at least two weeks before the assessment. Present your copy of your alternative exam arrangement form, signed by an Accessibility Adviser. Where special equipment is required, contact us for assistance.

  • Special consideration

    We can provide you with advice and assist you to make an application. Learn more about special consideration and obtain an application form. If you apply to withdraw from your course without academic penalty after the Census date due to a medical condition, you may be eligible for remission of fees.


Physical access

Get in touch if you'd like to discuss how to access campus buildings, teaching spaces, parking areas, lifts and toilets. You can also report any problems or obstacles you face when accessing University spaces. Your report will go directly to Campus Management for action and our team will also be notified. Our access and mobility map indicates accessible entrances, toilets, lifts and parking. Accessible parking permits are available through UniAccess upon presentation of a Health Professional’s report.

UWA Accessibility Map [PDF, 365KB]


Equipment and technology

A range of equipment to facilitate individualised learning needs is available on loan. We also arrange equipment, technology and furniture for students with alternative exam arrangements.

With the Library, we can provide Resource Rooms in the Reid and Barry J Marshall libraries if you have a medical condition or disability. These Resource Rooms have a range of equipment, software, ergonomic furniture, lockers and a rest area. See the Library website for more information.

Lockers can be made available for you and are reviewed on a semester basis. The Accessibility Technologist can assist with Library-associated tasks such as locating resources.


Specialist Mentoring Program

Are you a student with a diagnosis of autism? Would you like a peer mentor to assist you to navigate university life? Join our Specialist Mentoring Program to:

  • be part of a program specifically designed to support students with autism
  • be paired with a peer mentor who is available to provide support and guidance to help you achieve your academic, social and employment goals
  • meet other UWA students with autism at social gatherings

You’ll be paired with a volunteer Psychology Honours or postgraduate student with whom you can discuss relevant issues and develop strategies to tackle things like time management, forming friendships, group work and oral presentations. For more information, contact the Specialist Mentoring team at [email protected].

Launching your career

Located in the Careers Centre, the on-campus employment service is available every Wednesday for final-year graduating and graduated students and every Monday for first and second year students with a disability or medical condition. 

We can help with:

  • assistance from an experienced Specialist Employment Consultant
  • finding relevant work experience
  • links to accessible graduate opportunities which match your interest and field of study
  • guidance on your rights disclosing a disability
  • support after university to ensure you settle in to your new role
  • direct referrals to UWA services and programs that may also benefit you

Visit CareerHub

You can also access career support via the Australian Network on Disability’s Stepping Into program, a four-week paid internship for university students with disability.


UWA scholarships

UWA Alumni Fund Inspire Scholarship

Students with a disability or chronic medical condition or students with carer responsibilities are welcome to apply for this award.

Other UWA awards

The Scholarships Office provides information on scholarships that, while are not solely for students with a disability, will take disability into consideration.

External scholarships

Australian Disability Clearing House on Education and Training has a comprehensive list of the scholarships and grants available to students with disability.


You may also be interested in...

Contact us

Opening hours symbol
Office hours


For accessible parking locations, consult our Accessibility map.

Map symbol

First Floor, Student Central Building (West Wing)

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.