Each UWA library offers a range of study zones; choose the right zone each time you visit. You can study with food and drink but there are some rules to ensure all users can study in comfort. The PAM SMS service allows you to text Library staff to get help without leaving your seat.
Find the perfect place to study
Help us to maintain an environment in which you and other students can learn and enjoy your time on campus by keeping the following points in mind:
- Choose the right zone to meet your needs. Make sure you’re not disturbing other people by talking loudly in quiet and silent areas.
- Within the guidelines of the accepted behaviour in each zone, feel free to respectfully let someone know if they are disturbing you. They may be unaware they’re doing so.
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones.
- Make use of our late-night access at busy times of semester.
- If a persistent noise issue is disturbing your study, alert a Library staff member or security guard.
- Litter is unpleasant, so respect the Library and other people by clearing away your rubbish and recycling waste where possible.
- Don't be a desk or couch hog – study and PC space is in very high demand. If you’re leaving for an extended break, take your belongings with you so someone else can use the study space or PC. Your belongings are not secure if you leave them.
- Treat fellow Library users and Library staff with courtesy, respect and consideration at all times.
- If you are not behaving in an appropriate manner, Library or Security staff will let you know. We may ask you to leave the library building. You may also be liable to further action under the University's disciplinary procedures.
Resource rooms and accessibility
The University Library provides Resource Rooms in the Barry J Marshall and Reid libraries to students who have registered with UniAccess. These rooms provide a range of facilities which support students with a disability or medical condition.
More information on these facilities and the assistance and services available can be found on our Accessibility page.
The Library offers two dedicated spaces for postgraduate students to engage in silent individual study. Access is via campus card, and automatically enabled for students in postgraduate courses, but please contact us if you experience any issues accessing these spaces:
- Reid Second Floor - approx 150 seats inc PCs and lockers
- Marshall Third Floor - approx 40 seats, lockers located nearby
PAM (Please Assist Me!) – Library SMS service
We understand that sometimes you won’t want to leave your belongings unattended, you might want to report an issue anonymously, or perhaps it’s not that urgent but you want to let Library staff know about a situation. You can SMS the Library staff to let us know about issues relating to noise, food and drink, facilities and equipment. We’ll aim to respond as soon as we can. If the issue is urgent you should call us or speak to staff at the Information Desk. Please do not use PAM for emergencies, complex questions or spam.
Each Library has a different PAM number– make sure you use the right one so the right staff on the ground can respond. Save these in your phone for easy access to Library help!
Food and drink
Library users will appreciate the need to keep the library clean and comfortable for others. As such, only covered drinks and some food are permitted in the libraries, and all rubbish should be placed in bins provided. Foods which smell strongly or result in a mess are permitted only in the cafés and café terraces in Reid Library and Barry J Marshall Library, and the Student Lounge area in the J. Robin Warren Library.
You will be asked to relocate from all other Library areas if you are consuming any such food.
You may also be asked to relocate from a Library silent study zone if the food you are consuming is creating noise.
- No food or drink will be permitted in the Library’s Special Collections.
- Alcohol is not permitted in any areas of the Libraries (including the cafés and café terraces).
General and recycling bins can be found in all libraries and cleaning products are available from library staff if required.
Baby change facilities
Baby change facilities are located in:
- Barry J Marshall Library: Unisex toilet, First Floor (room 120)
- Reid Library: Unisex toilet, First Floor (room 105)