International student essentials

Let's get started

As a new international student, you can get in touch with our team to get support throughout your studies through one-on-one consultations and help connecting to other services we offer.

If you're an international student completing a degree, find out information for release requests, approved leave, academic progress and being under 18, or visit our Overseas student health cover page or view Information for student visa holders. For further advice and support, contact our International Student Advisers at

If you've joined us from overseas on a study abroad or student exchange program and have questions or need support, contact our team at the Global Learning Office who can help with enrolment, your visa and visa conditions, credit transfer and academic transcripts.

If you’re an Australia Awards student, we can help you with a range of support services. Contact our International Sponsored Students Coordinator on +61 8 6488 1785 or


Before you leave home

Check out our comprehensive guide to moving to UWA and Perth at our Future Students website.

Or download our Pre-departure guide for everything in one place.

During your studies

Our advisers are passionate about making sure you feel at home with us. Call or email us, or make an appointment to have a chat about:

  • Settling into Perth and UWA
  • Your visa and visa conditions
  • Working while studying
  • Homesickness or feeling overwhelmed
  • Bringing your family
  • Juggling your studies (work/life balance)
  • Help with your study load and managing priorities
  • Meeting other people on campus and at social events and excursions
  • Referrals to services        
  • Returning home

Release requests


If you’re considering transferring to a different education provider and need to be formally released, review the Student Transfer Request section of the ESOS Act or visit the Department of Education website for further information. If you have any questions or want to discuss your release request, contact the International Student Adviser.

Approved leave

If you’re on a student visa and want to take leave from your studies, get in touch with us to discuss your circumstances and eligibility before lodging an application. For your application to be approved, the circumstances of your request need to be compassionate or compelling, with supporting documents. Read the University Policy on Student Enrolment, including 4.1 Approved Leave.

Last date to lodge an application

  • Semester 1, 2020: 10 April 2020
  • Semester 2, 2020: 11 September 2020
  • Trimester 1, 2020: 13 March 2020
  • Trimester 2, 2020: 26 July 2020
  • Trimester 3, 2020: 16 October 2020

If your application for approved leave is not granted and you don't enrol in any units in the given semester or trimester, you'll be considered to have discontinued from your course and your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled, notifying the Department of Home Affairs. In this event, you’ll be required to re-apply for admission if you wish to return to UWA.

Academic progress


If you are having trouble keeping up or understanding any subjects, UWA offers a variety of free academic support for all students. If you’re having difficulty with a unit, contact your unit co-ordinator or tutor to seek further advice on the topic you're having difficulty with. STUDYSmarter also runs events, drop-in sessions and workshops to help you succeed in your studies. If you are concerned about progressing in your course or have other concerns that are affecting your studies, contact the International Student Adviser.

Under 18 students


If you’re under the age of 18 and have chosen UWA as your guardian, the University is responsible for your Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW). By signing your CAAW, UWA takes responsibility for your accommodation and welfare under the following conditions:

  • You are under 18 years by the first day of your commencing semester
  • You will reside in UWA-approved accommodation
  • You will not breach any University policy or procedures or any accommodation procedures or guidelines set out by the University’s approved carers and accommodation providers
  • You will inform International Student Support of any proposed changes to your accommodation prior to taking any action
  • You will attend induction sessions organised by International Student Support at the beginning of each semester
  • You will attend fortnightly meetings with your assigned guardian/carer

Our team also provides follow-up support by checking in on your wellbeing and accommodation arrangements, conducting home visits every six months, meeting with you if you have any problems or concerns, and managing your enrolment and academic progression.

Returning home checklist


Avoid a last-minute rush by planning and preparing your return home.


  • Clear any outstanding payments such as rent or bills
  • Lodge your tax return by the end of October
  • Pay any outstanding amounts on your credit card
  • Contact your superannuation fund to ensure you receive any benefits or refunds you’re eligible for
  • Check whether you’re eligible for a refund on any goods you’ve bought in Australia through the tourist tax refund scheme
  • Contact your health cover provider if you think you're due a refund on your Overseas Student Health Cover 


  • Close your Australian bank account and make sure you have enough money for your journey home
  • Terminate any contracts like your phone or internet
  • Finalise all medical bills/claims and get a copy of your medical records to take home with you


  • Check the details of your bond repayment
  • Check your lease for any other requirements when vacating your property


  • Make sure all university fees and any library fines are paid
  • Return all library books and anything else you’ve borrowed
  • Organise to attend your graduation
  • Update your contact details online in case we need to get in touch

Don’t forget!

  • If you’re planning to remain in Australia after your student visa has expired, ensure you have the correct visa
  • Arrange for mail to be forwarded to your home address via Australia Post
  • Leave enough time to sell anything you’re getting rid of like a car, furniture or clothes
  • Arrange to send any luggage separately or pay for excess baggage

Contact International Student Support

Phone symbol
International Student Adviser
Opening hours symbol
Opening hours
9am to 4pm
Monday to Friday
Map symbol
Room 1222, First Floor, Student Central

Contact our Australia Awards team

Phone symbol
Coordinator Debra Basanovic
Phone symbol
Administrative Assistant Celia Seah
Email symbol
Australia Awards team
Map symbol
Room 1222, First Floor, Student Central

Contact the Global Learning Office

Phone symbol
Call us
Speak with our team
Email symbol
Send a query
Ask a question online
Opening hours symbol
Office hours
8.30am–5pm, Monday to Friday
Map symbol

Student Central, Social Sciences South Building