Advice for visiting international students

While finding accommodation before you arrive in Perth for your studies is recommended, it isn't always easy. We’ve provided information to help you in your search.

Accommodation can be difficult to arrange before you arrive in Perth unless you have applied for on-campus accommodation or are planning to arrange homestay accommodation or stay with family or friends.

We recommend you organise temporary accommodation for at least the first week after you arrive in Perth or until you find suitable, more permanent accommodation.

New international students can find out more about temporary accommodation and an airport pickup through Student Services. Before starting your search for accommodation, you'll need to think about your budget, type of desired accommodation, location and the length of your stay.


The cost of living while studying can vary depending on the type of accommodation you have in mind and its location. You should budget between AUD$370 and $460 per week for rent and general living costs throughout the year.

Accommodation type

There are several options available to students seeking accommodation while studying at UWA. These include on-campus, off-campus, homestay, shared accommodation and renting or leasing.


Rental prices can be relatively high in the areas immediately surrounding the Perth campus and availability of vacant affordable properties close to the University can be limited.

The Residential Colleges are located across the road from the main campus and are therefore ideally situated. If you’re interested in Residential College accommodation you should submit an application for a place at least four to five months before the start of your studies at UWA.

We recommend you also look at suburbs around UWA and consider alternatives to living directly next to the University.

Perth has excellent public transport links to and from UWA.

Length of stay

Depending on the type of accommodation you choose, you may be committed to a specific period of time.

  • Residential colleges usually ask you to commit to a full semester.
  • Homestay accommodation can be for a minimum of two weeks or as long as a year.
  • Private rentals will usually require you to sign a tenancy agreement for six or 12 months, but some offer month-by-month agreements.


Once you are confident you have considered all the above, it’s time to begin your search.