Australia Awards students arriving in Australia

International Student Support can assist your arrival and help you with enrolling your children in local schools.

Before leaving for Perth

It's important to be well prepared before arriving in Australia.

Our pre-departure information for international students will help you with organising your departure, arriving in Perth and settling into the University.

Arriving in Perth

The International Student Support team will organise your airport reception and temporary accommodation prior to your arrival in Perth.

If you arrive at the airport and you are not met by a representative from the University, telephone 0429 902 455 before leaving the airport.

An arrival pack will be provided to you either at your temporary accommodation or when you arrive at our office. It contains a lot of reading material for you, along with maps and important information on what to do next.

We recommend you bring at least AUD$300–$500 on arrival to cover immediate expenses until you receive your establishment allowance.

On the next working day (Monday to Friday) after your arrival, visit the International Sponsored Students Office at Student Central by 9am to meet the Student Contact Officer.

Bring your:

  • passport and e-visa
  • arrival pack
  • academic transcripts

At this meeting you will be assisted with banking arrangements, Overseas Student Health Cover and scholarship stipend information.

The right permanent accommodation in Perth can take some time to find, so please be aware that your first few days should be focused on securing stable accommodation. If you wish to stay on campus, we recommend you make enquiries as soon as possible as on-campus accommodation is in high demand. Enquiries should also be made with Crawley Village to establish if postgraduate accommodation near the campus is available.

Introductory Academic Program (IAP)

Australia Awards Scholarship students commence their Introductory Academic Program around five days after their arrival. The IAP has been designed to provide you with the best possible start to your studies at UWA.

The IAP is compulsory and UWA is required to report to Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) on student attendance.

You can find further information about the IAP in your arrival pack.

Bringing family

DFAT does not provide any financial support for family. If you wish to bring your family members to Australia, you must assess whether you have the financial capability to support your family while in Perth before bringing them out.

You are responsible for coordinating your family's arrival in Perth. It is recommended that families not arrive with students but rather arrive three to six months later. This gives you time to adjust to your new environment, including returning to study after being in the workforce. The first six months as a student is the most difficult.

Ensure you/your family bring:

  • family members' birth certificates
  • your marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • children's immunisation records
  • academic transcripts for children over 11 years
  • spouse qualifications and work references

If you decide not to bring your family with you while you study in Australia, you may be eligible for a reunion airfare. To apply for a reunion airfare, you should contact International Student Support by making an appointment at Student Central or calling 6488 7378 for approval and a letter for payment of the flight.