GCE – A levels or Cambridge Advanced Level Examination
The General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-Levels) is a widely recognised academic qualification conferred in more than 125 countries.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the GCE A-Levels program. To be admitted to the University, you must:
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below
- achieve a sufficient number of GCE A-Level points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
GCE A-Level students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the GCE A-Level points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|GCE A-LEVEL||ATAR EQUIVALENT|
- Points are assigned on the basis that at advanced (A2) level:
- grades awarded up to and including 2009: A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1
- grades awarded from 2010 onwards: A*=7, A=5, B=4, C=3, D=1, E=0
- Best three Advanced Level subjects will be used in the calculation of the aggregate.
- A minimum of two Advanced Level subjects can be used in the calculation of the aggregate if less than three Advanced Level subjects are available.
- Subjects used in the calculation of the aggregate must be passed within a period of two consecutive academic years.
- Advanced subsidiary subjects may not be used in the calculation of the aggregate.
- The GCE General Paper/Studies may not be used in the calculation of the aggregate.
- In the Cambridge Overseas Higher School Certificate and its overseas derivatives, Principal Level passes are required.
- There are several other qualifications deemed comparable with the GCE. Contact Admissions for advice.
The following table shows GCE A-Levels subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|WA course||GCE Advanced level equivalent||Acceptable GCSE/IGCSE subjects|
|English as an Additional Language/Dialect||No equivalent||English as a Second Language, minimum grade A with grad 1 (One) in Oral/Aural Communication|
(Discrete Mathematics [pre-2010])
|Mathematics (AS level) - minimum grade E||Mathematics - minimum grade B |
(Applicable Mathematics [pre-2010])
|Mathematics - minimum grade E||Not applicable|
|Mathematics: Specialist 3C/3D
|Chemistry 3A/3B||Chemistry - minimum grade E||Not applicable|
|Physics 3A/3B||Physics - minimum grade E||Not applicable|
: For UWA courses which list the prerequisite "at least Mathematics 2C/2D", a "B" grade or above in GCSE Mathematics is acceptable.