Gao Kao China
The National Higher Education Entrance Examination (Gao Kao) is the national academic examination of entrance into higher education institutions of the People's Republic of China.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the Gao Kao program. To be admitted to the University, you must:
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below
- achieve a sufficient number of points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
Gao Kao students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|Gao Kao overall score of 480||Gao Kao overall score of 600||Gao Kao overall score of 750||Gao Kao minimum percentage||ATAR equivalent|
- Calculate according to the maximum overall score for the specific province.
- The overall score received by the student is an aggregate of the individual subject scores.
- The overall (maximum) score is normally 750 except: Jiangsu = 480; Shanghai = 600; Zhejiang = 810; Hainan = 900.
The following table shows Gao Kao subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|Gao Kao equivalent|
|English/Literature||English ATAR/Literature ATAR||No equivalent|
|Mathematics 2C/2D||Mathematics Applications ATAR||Mathematics - Score required 80 (out of 150); or Mathematics (Arts Basic) - Score required 100 (out of 150)|
|Mathematics 3A/3B||No equivalent||Mathematics - Score required 80 (out of 150)|
|Mathematics 3C/3D||Mathematics Methods ATAR||Mathematics - Score required 100 (out of 150)|
|Mathematics: Specialist 3C/3D||Mathematics Specialist ATAR||Mathematics - Score required 100 (out of 150)|
|Chemistry 3A/3B||Chemistry ATAR||Chemistry - Score required 100 (out of 150); or Comprehensive subject (Science)  - Score required 200 (out of 300)|
|Physics 3A/3B||Physics ATAR||Physics - Score required 100 (out of 150); or Comprehensive subject (Science)  - Score required 200 (out of 300)|
 may also be translated as: Integrated course; Synthetic.