Australia Awards and sponsored students

Australia Awards are prestigious international scholarships and fellowships funded by the Australian Government offering high-achieving international students the opportunity to undertake study, research and professional development. 

UWA has an International Student Support Unit which provides assistance to Australia Awards and sponsored students.

We can provide:

  • end of semester academic reports
  • information and support for students whose children will be attending school
  • a response to any issues that are of concern to you or your sponsor

Sponsorship extensions

You are required to liaise with your sponsor directly if you have issues with your visa and sponsorship extension. It is your responsibility to ensure your sponsorship is valid. For an extension, you will need a further Financial Guarantee from your sponsor to secure an extension to your visa. If the sponsorship lapses, you are responsible for any incurred fees and expenses.

Change of course

If you wish to change the agreed course, you’ll need to apply for the new course and organise a new Financial Guarantee or Sponsor Agreement from your sponsor.

It is important that the Sponsor Guarantee Letter Form (PDF 102KB) form is completed and returned when accepting the offer and when there is a change to your enrolment.

Information for sponsors

The International Student Support Unit is your contact for sponsorship and sponsored student queries at UWA.

Sponsored students and their sponsor organisation need to be identified at both the application and acceptance stage of admission to UWA.

Sponsor agreements or financial guarantees

We will accept a Letter of Financial Guarantee in place of the UWA Sponsor Agreement.

The Letter of Financial Guarantee must include:

  • student’s name
  • UWA student number
  • course(s) of study
  • commencement period
  • the duration of sponsorship
  • expenses covered by the sponsorship (including living allowance arrangements)
  • confirm if UWA is to send tuition fee invoices to the sponsor or directly to the student
  • confirm if the sponsor will pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the student OR the student and family

Direct any fee issues to our Fees team via askUWA.