Philosophy, Politics and Economics
The University of Western Australia(M355) 35 Stirling Highway Perth Western Australia 6009
(+61 8) 6488 3939
1800 653 050
Frequently asked questions
Events you may be interested in
Understanding Language: A professional development day for school teachers
- Categories: Local event - at UWA campus
- Audiences: A secondary school career adviser or teacher
Course Information Evening
Join us on campus and chat to subject area specialists, academics and UWA students.
- Categories: Local event - at UWA campus
- Audiences: A secondary school student in Year 12A parent of a prospective studentYear 9 high school studentA secondary school student in Year 10A secondary school student in Year 11A mature age student pursuing my first degree
Careers and further study
This major opens up a world of future study pathways and career opportunities.
Master of Public Policy
Fees and scholarships
Learn more about the fees that apply to you for this major. For fee type definitions and further assistance, see the Fee Calculator Help page. You can also search our database for scholarships that are relevant to you or your desired course.
Scholarships are available to students from a diverse range of backgrounds, including academic achievement, financial need, educational disadvantage, leadership and community service, artistic or sporting achievements, and being from a rural or remote area.
Cost of living
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from international and domestic school-leavers, mature-age applicants and those with previous tertiary study. If you’re interested in studying this major, find out the admission details below.
Minimum entry requirements
How to apply
Ready to apply for this major? Follow the steps and you’ll be on your way to joining us at UWA.
Combining economic thinking, moral philosophy and politics, the Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) double major prepares students for employment in professions that deal with a broad scope of political and economic life. You'll identify and evaluate assumptions underpinning philosophical, political and/or economic viewpoints on social and legal topics as well as demonstrate sound research skills and written and oral communication skills.
About The Course
- Available 2020
- Perth (Crawley campus)
- Semester 1, Semester 2
- 12 contact hours in classes, plus at least twice as many hours again for study in your own time
- 3 years (BA); 4 years (BPhil [Hons])
Students will learn to:
- Integrate philosophical, political and economic ideas
- Independently construct arguments for philosophical positions, political positions and economic positions
- Understand and apply the methods of contemporary philosophy, contemporary politics and contemporary economics
- Identify and evaluate assumptions underpinning philosophical, political and/or economic viewpoints on social and legal topics
- Demonstrate sound research skills and written and oral communication skills
Our undergraduate degrees offer you a range of options, so you can combine subjects to match your career goals with your personal interests.
Put theory into practice
Current UWA students are eligible to take one of our professional experience units. These units bridge the gap between university and the workplace by providing opportunities to gain hands-on, practical experience. You can master new skills, make connections and network, get a taste of the opportunities in the workforce and add experience to your resume, all before graduating.
Find out more about Work Integrated Learning.
Our Business School courses are influenced by the Business School Board, a group of industry leaders who ensure content remains current and students are prepared for their chosen career when entering the workforce as well as giving a key insight into what employers are looking for when hiring graduates.
Strong industry contacts will give you the added advantage of growing quality networks to draw on when you graduate. We have 30+ corporate supporters, who have included ATCO, Bankwest, BDO, BHP, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Macquarie Group, Mitsubishi, UniBank, Woodside and more.
Your degree options
This major is only available within the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) degrees. This major is a double major which means you undertake more units in this area. You are not able to pair this major with any other major.