Computing and Data Science
The University of Western Australia(M355) 35 Stirling Highway Perth Western Australia 6009
(+61 8) 6488 3939
1800 653 050
Frequently asked questions
Events you may be interested in
STAT Writing Workshop (Pre-recorded)
This pre-recorded online workshop will help prepare you for the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT).
- Categories: Online
- Audiences: A secondary school student in Year 12A mature age student pursuing my first degree
UWA Open Day 2021
Join us on campus on Sunday 28 March from 10am to 2pm and discover how you can achieve your study and career goals with us.
- Categories: Local event - at UWA campus
- Audiences: A mature age student pursuing my first degreeA parent of a prospective studentA secondary school student in Year 10A secondary school student in Year 11A secondary school student in Year 12A secondary school career adviser or teacherStudying at another tertiary institutionStudying at UWA
Take a tour of the campus and discover the many hidden gems, as you find out about UWA courses, entry requirements, mature-age entry and alternative entry pathways.
- Categories: Local event - at UWA campus
- Audiences: A secondary school student in Year 10A secondary school student in Year 11A secondary school student in Year 12A mature age student pursuing my first degreeA parent of a prospective studentA secondary school career adviser or teacherStudying at another tertiary institution
Careers and further study
This major opens up a world of future study pathways and career options.
Master of Data Science
Fees and scholarships
Fees for this course are currently being finalised, refer back to this page in the coming weeks as more information will be made available then.
For fee type definitions and further assistance, see the Fee Calculator Help page.
You can also search our database for scholarships that are relevant to you or your desired course.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from international and domestic school-leavers, mature-age applicants and those with previous tertiary study. If you’re interested in studying this major, find out the admission details below.
Minimum entry requirements
This major requires a certain level of Mathematics. If you do not meet this level, you may be able to take additional Mathematics units in your first year to satisfy this requirement.
WACE prerequisite: Mathematics Methods ATAR
How to apply
Ready to apply for this major? Follow the steps and you’ll be on your way to joining us at UWA.
About the course
Studying Computing and Data Science will unveil the technologies that bring us the convenience we enjoy every day and subconsciously take for granted as natural parts of our life.
- Available 2021
- Perth (Crawley Campus)
- Full-time, part-time
- Semester 1, Semester 2
- 16-25' teaching time, plus your own study time
- 4 years (BACS[Hons]), 4 years (BPhil[Hons])
- Bachelor of Advanced Computer Science (Honours), BPhil
- Faculty of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Why study this course
- Working alongside industry partners and inspiring researchers and fellow students will give you hands-on experience and connections with future employers working on real-world projects. Your in-demand skills in data science will give you an edge in almost any industry and workplace setting
- You'll be able to apply your business and technical knowledge to identify and overcome business challenges and help organisations achieve their goals
- You'll learn how to make evidence-based and data-driven decisions, becoming a valuable problem solver in your workplace
You'll learn to
- apply data visualisation, interpretation, storage and synthesis skills in complex real-world settings
- use predictive modelling to forecast future trends, outcomes and scenarios
- understand the opportunities and constraints of contemporary data science practice as it applies in various industries
- work effectively as a team member and as a team leader for real-world data science projects
- communicate data science, modelling and analytics clearly in oral, graphical and written formats
- extend knowledge in data science through research, experimentation and analysis
"Have you ever wondered how Bureau of Meteorology forecast the weather; how your smart phone can recognise your face; how YouTube makes recommendations; and how Siri can listen to your command and hold a conversation?"
Dr Wei Liu - Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Your degree options
This major is offered as a degree-specific, or first, major for this degree.
Admission entry pathways
UWA offers a number of admission entry pathways for domestic and international students to be able to study with us. If your results do not qualify you for standard entry into the University, check our Admission entry pathways for one that suits you.