W/Prof David Pannell
Environmental Economics and Policy, Centre for (CEEP)
- Contact details
- Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy (CEEP)
The University of Western Australia (M089)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 4735
- +61 8 6488 1098
- Personal homepage
- Room G004, Agriculture North West Wing, Crawley campus
- BSc(Agric) BEc PhD W.Aust.
- David Pannell is Winthrop Professor and Head of School in the School of Agricultural and Resource Economics at the University of Western Australia, Director of the Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy, and an ARC Federation Fellow. He has been a prominent commentator on environmental policy within Australia, arguing for policies that better reflect scientific, economic and social realities. He was President of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in 2000, a member of the WA Government’s Salinity Taskforce in 2001, and a director on the Board of Land and Water Australia 2002-05. His research includes the economics of environmental conservation; environmental policy; farmer adoption of land conservation practices; risk management; and economics of farming systems. His research has been published in five books and 150 journal articles and book chapters, and has been recognised with awards from the USA, Australia, Canada and the UK, including the 2009 ARC Eureka Prize for Interdisciplinary Research.
- Key research
- Environmental, resource and agricultural economics
- Management of natural resources and the environment
- Environmental policy
- Adoption and diffusion of innovations
- Bioeconomic modelling
- Risk and uncertainty
- Evaluation and prioritisation of research
- Mathematical programming techniques
- Economics of interated weed management
- Dryland salinity
- 7 books and monographs and 190 journal articles and book chapters.
200 other reports, conference papers, extension articles, etc.
For complete list, see personal web page at http://www.davidpannell.net
Asseng, S. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Adaptating dryland agriculture to climate change: farming implications and research and development needs in Western Australia, Climatic Change 118(2), 167-181.
Doole, G., Vigiak, O., Roberts, A.M. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Cost-effective strategies to mitigate multiple pollutants in an agricultural catchment in North-Central Victoria, Australia, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 57(3), 441-460.
Skurray, J., Pandit, R. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Institutional Impediments to Groundwater Trading: the case of the Gnangara groundwater system of Western Australia, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 56(7), 1046–1072.
Pannell, D.J., Roberts, A.M., Park, G. and Alexander, J. (2013). Designing a practical and rigorous framework for comprehensive evaluation and prioritisation of environmental projects, Wildlife Research 40(2), 126-133.
Polyakov, M., Pandit, R., Tapsuwan, S., Park, G. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Valuing environmental assets on rural lifestyle properties, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review 42(1), 159-175.
Thamo, T., Pannell, D.J., Kingwell, R.S. (2013). Measurement of greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture: economic implications for policy and agricultural producers, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 57(2), 234-252.
Pannell, D.J., Roberts, A.M., Park, G. and Alexander, J. (2013). Improving environmental decisions: a transaction-costs story, Ecological Economics 88, 244-252.
Polyakov, M., Rowles, A.D., Radford, J.Q., Bennett, A.F., Park, G., Roberts, A. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Using habitat extent and composition to predict the occurrence of woodland birds in fragmented landscapes, Landscape Ecology 28(2), 329-341.
Beltran, J.C., White, B., Burton, M.P., Doole, G. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). Determinants of herbicide use in rice production in the Philippines, Agricultural Economics 44(1), 45-55.
Doole, G.J. and Pannell, D.J. (2013). A process for the development and application of simulation models in applied economics, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 57(1), 79-103.
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Head, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Director, Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy
- Honours and awards
- 2012. Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in Autralia
2012. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Quality of Communication Award
2011. Distinguished Fellow of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society
2009. ARC Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Research
2009. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Quality of Research Discovery Award
2009. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Quality of Communication Award
2007. Australian Research Council Federation Fellowship
2007. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Best article in Connections: Farm, Food and Resource Issues
2004. National Dryland Salinity Program, "W.E. Wood Award" for excellence in salinity R&D
2003. American Agricultural Economics Association, Outstanding Journal Article in the Review of Agricultural Economics for 2002
2001. Canadian Agricultural Economics Society, outstanding journal article award for 2000
1997. Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, Best Article in the Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics during 1996
1994. University of Western Australia "Excellence in Teaching" award
1992. Australian Agricultural Economics Society PhD Thesis Prize, for 1990-1991
1990. Agricultural Economics Society (Britain) Prize Article Competition
- Useful links
- See my blog at http://www.pannelldiscussions.net/
See my profiles on:
- Current projects
- INFFER project, http://www.inffer.org
Rural Practice Change, http://www.ruralpracticechange.org/
Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy, http://ceep.uwa.edu.au
Centre of Excellence in Environmental Decisions, http://ceed.edu.au/
National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training, http://www.groundwater.com.au/
Future Farm Industries CRC, http://www.futurefarmcrc.com.au/
Valuation of the Swan River, http://www.are.uwa.edu.au/research/projects/swan-river
Economics of carbon farming, http://www.are.uwa.edu.au/research/projects/carbon-farming
Integrated assessment of prescribed burning, http://www.are.uwa.edu.au/research/projects/integrated-assessment-of-burning
- Research profile
Research profile and publications