FAQs for students
traveling from China


If you have been impacted by the recent announcement from the Chinese Ministry of Education which states that the CSCSE will no longer provide certification/accreditation services for foreign diplomas and degrees obtained online, we are here to support you. We understand that this may be a stressful time for you as you may now need to make new plans for completing your degree at UWA. The University will do everything we can to make this transition as smooth and easy as possible for you. UWA has put in place dedicated staff to help you find accommodation in Perth. Please explore UWA’s Accommodation Concierge and International student support page for more resources on living and studying in Perth. 


Help us better understand your situation

Your response will help us to prepare support for you and develop a pathway for the successful completion of your studies.


Frequently asked questions and answers

The information below can assist with your plans for travel and study at UWA.


How will the latest announcement regarding accreditation affect me?

You can read the full statement and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the CSCSE website. The University of Western Australia is currently reviewing the announcement and the recent updates. We will provide more detailed information soon regarding how this announcement may impact your plans for Semester 1 2023.


Once I have accepted my offer, how can I prepare for my studies at UWA?

Visit the UniStart website to find everything you need to get started, including choosing your units, planning your timetable, and checking out O-Week events.


How do I check my enrolment and confirm I am only enrolled in face-to-face units?

You can review your enrolment in studentConnect. For any units you have enrolled in that are ONLINE-FL or ONLINE-TT, you need to change your enrolment to FACE2FACE. To change your enrolment, follow our simple guide. Once you have changed your enrolment mode, you need to sign up for your lectures, tutorials and laboratories by reviewing your activities in Class Allocation System (CAS).


I have chosen an online study model. Can I continue to study online since the CSCSE policy has been announced?

We encourage you to return to campus and complete your studies face-to-face, as there is a risk that your certificate may not be certified by CSCSE if you don't. We are reviewing the CSCSE decision to understand what support or documents we can provide you. Please note all international student visa holders will need to be enrolled in Face-to-Face units only from Semester 2, 2023.


One of my units is only available online. Can I continue to study this unit?

UWA's understanding of the CSCSE decision is that if the unit is only available online and there is not a Face-to-Face option available, this may be considered an acceptable exception. UWA is currently reviewing all enrolments for students from China. If there are no further changes to the advice, we will communicate with students in these units directly once further information is available.


I haven't got my Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) yet and worry about the timing of applying for visas. What can I do?

For current students: If you have been studying online, use the CoE previously provided to you to apply for your visa.

For Semester 1 students: If you have made payment within the last 7 days, contact us via [email protected] so that we can look out for the payment. If you have not made payment, please check when your offer expiry date is and make payment as soon as possible.

For Semester 2 students: We are currently focusing on Semester 1 applications and will be in touch when your CoE is ready. Visa applications are handled by the Department of Home Affairs. The current visa processing time is available on the Home Affairs website.


Will the university continue to offer online study?

UWA will continue to offer some units in online teaching mode, but there is a risk that the degree will not be certified based on the new CSCSE policy. We encourage you to return to campus and complete your studies face-to-face. Please note all international student visa holders will need to be enrolled in Face-to-Face units only from Semester 2, 2023.


Who do I contact if I am having issues with changing my enrolment?

Contact your Student Advising Office for assistance if you are having difficulties changing your enrolment.


Who do I contact for other assistance and support?

If you are impacted by the CSCSE changes and have not done so already, complete our survey so that we can better understand your situation and provide you with tailored support. Then contact our International Student Support team for further assistance.  


Who do I contact if I have a general question?

Visit askUWA to find general information and get answers to popular FAQs. If you can't find what you are looking for, you may submit a question.


Can I chat with current UWA students about what its like in Perth?

You can find out what student life is really like at UWA from some of our current students. Whether you're curious about life in Perth or the best places to hang out on campus, our students are here to chat with you. You can read blogs about their student experiences too. Chat now.


When does Semester 1 start?

Orientation for new students starts from Monday 20 February and Semester 1 teaching starts on Monday 27 February.


When is Census Date?

The Census date for all Semester 1 units is 31 March 2023. For more information, visit the Important dates webpage.


Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.