Safe and sustainable resources development in the ocean
Oceans is a multidisciplinary research area with expertise in metocean dynamics and ocean forecasting, offshore geotechnical engineering, offshore fixed and floating structural engineering, hydrodynamics and structure interaction, gas processing, and asset management.
Researchers in this discipline work closely with the Oceans Graduate School and Oceans Institute across the resources, defence and agriculture industries.
The group seeks solutions in the following areas:
- Safe and sustainable design of offshore and coastal ocean facilities, such as coastal defence, fixed and floating structures for oil and gas and renewable energy, pipeline and seabed infrastructure.
- Ocean forecasting, operational and environmental management.
- Design and management of facilities associated with expanding offshore industries, including defence and offshore aquaculture.
Current projects of the research discipline include the following:
- Design, operation and asset management of FLNG and other Australian floaters
- Safe and efficient cyclone prediction and responses for offshore facilities
- Deployment of renewable energy devices offshore Australia (including for remote energy to subsea oil and gas systems)
- Design and asset management of subsea facilities: subsea facilities, pipelines, risers, flow assurance
- Environmental effects: offshore spill monitoring and responses
- Environmental effects: rigs to reefs; efficient asset decommissioning
Related research disciplines
Renewable Energy and Microgrids
The Renewable Energy and Microgrids discipline looks at ways to make the modern world’s transition to renewable energy smoother and more efficient.Read more
Complex Data Analysis
Using innovative techniques, the Complex Data Modelling research group develop mathematical, statistical and computational methodology to support engineering projects.Read more
Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems
COFS carries out fundamental research at an internationally recognised standard of excellence in the areas of the mechanics of seabed sediments, offshore geohazards and of offshore foundation and engineering systems.
Oceans Graduate School
UWA's Oceans Graduate School is providing innovative and effective solutions for the challenges facing the world’s oceans.
School of Engineering
The School of Engineering tackles global challenges through engineering innovation.
Department of Chemical Engineering
UWA’s Department of Chemical Engineering prepares students for careers in innovative sectors, teaching them to transform raw materials into useful products.
Engineering for Remote Operations
Engineering for Remote Operations is a strategic research initiative bringing together researchers across EMS to create innovative solutions to problems.