FACILITY

Bayliss Building

Cutting-edge facilities enable world-class research and study

The Bayliss Building is an impressive five-storey facility that's the largest and most technically complex building on our campus. Home to the School of Molecular Sciences, the building was named after Emeritus Professor Sir Noel Stanley Bayliss (1906-1996), an eminent Australian chemist whose name was given to the mineral 'baylissite'.

It houses a range of facilities to support world-class research and teaching, and labs have been built on every level to suit various curriculum requirements as students progress. Inside the 17,000-square-metre building is an impressive DNA double helix design on the west wall of the central atrium and an intricate Penrose tiled floor.

A dominant architectural feature is the large, naturally lit, central atrium which allows views from all central rooms. It also increases the internal transparency of the building and allows the interaction and relaxation of hundreds of academic, research, postgraduate and support staff that use the building.

Bayliss Building

  • The west wall of the central atrium features a scored stainless steel plate of the double helix structure of DNA which climbs to a height of 20 metres.

  • The tiling of the central atrium floor has a remarkable Penrose pattern of five-fold symmetry, long considered to be impossible, but now recognised to be of importance in mathematics, crystallography and materials science.

  • The five-storey building is a thriving centre for world-class research, with advanced labs on every level.
 

Contact the School of Molecular Sciences

map marker big Created with Sketch.

Location

Find us on campus

Map
man-user copy Created with Sketch.

Staff

View all

A-Z listing
CRICOS Code: 00126G
Updated
Thursday, 25 October 2018 8:22 AM (this date excludes nested assets)
Feedback
[email protected]
Content ID
1f67e801-5e14-411f-afb0-eaa5bcfba288