Events you may be interested in
UWA Christmas Concert for Lifeline WA 2020
- Categories: Local event - at UWA campus
- Audiences: Graduates or near graduatesProfessionalsStudying at another tertiary institutionStudying at UWA
Careers and further study
Take your studies to a new level and discover what career opportunities lie ahead.
The course will provide a career ‘accelerator’ within the resources sector – and also a potential entry pathway to the resources sector for professionals from other industry sectors.
Master of Business Administration Flexible
Fees and scholarships
Learn more about the fees that apply to you for this course. For fee type definitions and further assistance, see the Fee Calculator Help page. You can also search our database for scholarships that are relevant to you or this course.
Postgraduate - fee paying students
The Annual Fee is an estimate only based on a standard annual study load of 48 points.
For Commonwealth Supported Places, student contribution amounts are charged by unit. For an accurate fee estimate, go to the Fee Calculator and select “I want to price my units”.
For Full Fee Paying places, students are charged an annual course fee. Visit the Fee Calculator and select your course to see the annual and total course fees.
Industry partner discount
Scholarships are available to students from a diverse range of backgrounds, including academic achievement, financial need, educational disadvantage, leadership and community service, artistic or sporting achievements, and being from a rural or remote area.
Cost of living
If you’re interested in furthering your career by studying this postgraduate degree, find out the admission details below.
(a) a Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA;
(b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 50 per cent;
(c) at least two years professional experience in a relevant occupation; or
(2) significant work experience including at least 5 years with a material level of responsibility.
Ranking and Selection Process
(a) a satisfactory personal statement, as recognised by UWA;
(b) two satisfactory referees, as recognised by UWA.
Applicants should submit their application online with the following documentation. High-quality colour scans of original documents are to be uploaded into the application portal prior to assessment.
• Original proof of citizenship (one of the following):
o passport (and visa if necessary)
o birth certificate
o Australian Citizenship certificate
• Original academic transcripts (unless previously from UWA)
• Proof of English language competency
• A personal statement
• A current curriculum vitae (CV) outlining your professional work experience
• Two referee names and contact details
Note: Hard-copy original transcripts and degree certificates from previous studies may be requested at any time as part of the process of verifying the authenticity of any documents provided with an application. Read more here about uploading scanned documents.
If you need assistance with the application process, please contact our Future Students Team.
How to apply
Ready to apply for this postgraduate course? Follow the steps and you’ll be on your way to joining us at UWA.
MBA and Graduate Certificate Information Session, 21 November
Register for a morning information session on Saturday 21 November at the UWA Business School to hear about our MBA suite of programs and application advice. You'll meet industry professionals, our MBA Directors, and some of our current students and alumni who are making their mark in business.
Our MBA suite of programs is running remotely. If you have any queries, please contact our Professional Programs Adviser on 131 UWA / email@example.com
About the course
- Available 2021
- Perth (Crawley campus)
- Part-time only
- Partially Online
- Trimester 1, 2, 3
- The estimated time commitment is 12 hours per week per unit, which includes 3 weekly contact hours, personal study and examinations.
- This course is not available to international student visa holders
Postgraduate coursework degrees and combined (coursework and research) degrees comprise a number of units. Refer to the course structure for more information.
You'll learn to
- analyse the strategies of resources companies.
- understand the commodity-market cycle and market economics.
- understand the investment climate for mineral commodity developments.
- understand the social impact and environmental impact of minerals developments and ways to maximise shared value.
UWA MBA graduates earn highest salaries nationally
Graduates of the UWA MBA program earn the highest salaries in Australia, almost $200,000 per annum after completing their course, at an average age of 34 (QS Top Universities Global MBA Rankings for 2021).
- Real-world case studies of challenges facing the senior decision-makers in resources companies are studied.
- Techniques to improve your management skill set for the resources sector are covered.
- Tools for operational improvement in resources can be applied in your workplace.
- Verbal and written communications skills will assist your career development in the resources sector.
- BHP, Woodside, Chevron, Clough, St Barbara, Resource Capital Funds and others are long-term resources-sector supporters of the UWA Business School.
- Lecturers on the Graduate Certificate have extensive industry contacts in the sector – and guest speakers who are leaders in the resources sector often deliver bespoke lectures into the program.
Flexible and personalised study
You will complete four units in intensive block-teaching or weekly lecture mode. Some units, including the cornerstone 'Strategic Management of Resources Companies' (MGMT5524), are available as online offerings in addition to face-to-face delivery.
By taking the core unit 'Strategic Management of Resource Companies' and choosing from a range of option units, you'll tailor your course to suit your career plans, professional development and personal growth.
"The Graduate Certificate in Minerals and Energy Management at UWA is a great vehicle for mining industry professionals seeking to expand their professional knowledge base. They get to study with future industry leaders and it offers a valuable potential entry pathway to an MBA."
-Dr David Blyth, Principal, 2nd Horizon Consulting, and Adjunct Associate Professor in the UWA Business School
Why study this course
- Enhance your resources sector knowledge to a general management level from technical level.
- Deepen your knowledge of decision-making practice and processes in the resources sector, through enhanced financial and economic understanding of organisations and mineral markets.
- Understand value-based strategies, the related corporate and technical risks, and the different business models deployed in the global minerals and energy sector.
Industry partner discount
Pathway to the MBA
This Graduate Certificate is a pathway to the Master of Business Administration (MBA) Flexible program.
Graduates who meet the Weighted Average Mark requirements can articulate into the MBA. Points completed for the Graduate Certificate will be fully credited towards the MBA.
For Trimester 3 2020 entry, applications open Monday 25 February 2019 and close 16 August 2020.
The UWA Business School is accredited through both EQUIS, the European Quality Improvement System, and AACSB, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. These are the leading business school accreditations in Europe and North America respectively, meaning that your business degree will be recognised by employers around the world.
Our Business School courses are influenced by the Business School Board, a group of industry leaders who ensure content remains current and students are prepared for their chosen career when entering the workforce as well as giving a key insight into what employers are looking for when hiring graduates.
Strong industry contacts will give you the added advantage of growing quality networks to draw on when you graduate. We have 30+ corporate supporters, who have included ATCO, Bankwest, BDO, BHP, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Macquarie Group, Mitsubishi, UniBank, Woodside and more.