Applied Benefit: Cost Analysis – The Essentials
Benefit: Cost Analysis is one of the most important and widely used tools of economics. It supports improved decision making about projects and policies by providing a systematic, logical, transparent, and consultative approach to evaluating and prioritising them.
In this micro-credential, participants will learn the essential background knowledge and know how to apply Benefit: Cost Analysis in weighing explicit and implicit costs and benefits of a project or an investment program. Examples in this unit focus on agriculture and environmental management, but the material presented is applicable in many other contexts.
The micro-credential takes an applied approach, aiming to provide participants with all the foundation knowledge and core starting skills needed to conduct a Benefit: Cost Analysis themselves. As part of this, each participant will construct their own well-designed spreadsheet to do the required calculations, will use it to conduct a basic Benefit: Cost Analysis.
The academic objectives are to understand the concepts and principles that underpin Benefit: Cost Analysis and to learn how to apply it to evaluate real projects and policies.
Upon successful completion of this micro-credential, you'll receive:
- Two PD Points
- A Certificate of Achievement
- A UWA Plus Professional Development Transcript, listing all successfully completed micro-credentials
- Delivery mode
- Course dates
- 26 February 2024 - 24 May 2024
- To discuss the option of a self-paced version of the course, contact the course coordinator, [email protected]
- Registrations close
- 19 February 2024 Duration
- 4 weeks
- 50 hours
Lectures: 8 x 45-minute online lectures
Workshops: 4 x 1-hour online workshops
Self-directed learning: 40 hours
- Academic lead
- David Pannell
- $440 inc. GST
- A 25% discount is available for bulk enrolments (5 or more) Generous bursaries are available for students from developing countries. Contact [email protected] for details.
- Critical information summary
- SCIEM521 Applied Benefit: Cost Analysis (PDF 243KB)
Know key steps in conducting the benefit: cost analysis for a project or policy
Apply key theoretical and practical aspects of time and discounting for benefits and costs
Construct a spreadsheet to do the required calculations for a basic Benefit: Cost Analysis
Quantify the economic benefits and costs of a project or policy
Use suitable criteria for selecting projects