International students under 18

The Department of Home Affairs requires students under the age of 18 to have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements while studying in Australia.

It is a condition of a Student Visa that these arrangements are in place before a student visa can be issued. These conditions must be maintained and failure to do so can result in visa cancellation.

Students who will be under 18 when they begin studying at UWA have two options for their accommodation and welfare arrangements.

Students under the age of 18 must provide details of their parent or legal guardian, by completing the form below, and submitting it as part of the acceptance process:

Option A – Students stay in an accommodation and welfare arrangement approved by The University of Western Australia

Under Option A, the student must have an arrangement with an approved carer service and a confirmed place in an approved college or homestay. The University will issue a 'Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare' letter (CAAW) together with your 'Confirmation of Enrolment' (CoE) which are used for an application for a student visa. It is important that students who are under 18 do not arrive in Australia before the date nominated by the University on their CAAW confirmation letter (unless accompanied by a parent), as this can result in their visa being cancelled.

Step 1

You or your agent should contact a UWA-approved accommodation provider to arrange a confirmed accommodation place.

The University's approved accommodation provider is:

Other approved accredited homestay agencies that can be considered:

Step 2

You, or your agent, should arrange welfare services with a UWA-approved carer service and provide them with evidence that you have a confirmed place in UWA-approved accommodation.

The University's approved carer services is:

Step 3

Submit the Parent/Legal Guardian Consent form to UWA Admissions, along with other supporting documents as requested.

Supporting documents for Option A includes approved accommodation agreement and welfare services agreement.

Step 4

Once we have received the accommodation and welfare service confirmation, all relevant documents and payments, a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) will be issued to the student. This will be sent via email to you.

Step 5

Ensure student has completed all pre-arrival requirements, has important contact details and is ready for enrolment and orientation.

Option B – Students stay in an accommodation and welfare arrangement approved by the Department of Home Affairs

Under Option B, the University does not issue the 'Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare' letter (CAAW), as the accommodation and welfare arrangements are approved directly by the Department of Home Affairs.

Typically, this means the student will be living in Australia with a parent or adult relative. Refer to the Department of Home Affairs for more information on Student Guardian Visas and other visa options.