Student visas

As an international student, you’ll need to obtain a visa before travelling to Australia. For a full-time course, you’ll need a student visa that will cover the duration of your program. If you’ve entered Australia on a temporary resident visa or another category of visa that allows you to study, you may be able to enrol to study part-time but will have to pay the full cost of your tuition before starting your studies.

Before you apply

You can apply for a student visa after you’ve received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the University.

We will issue you with a CoE after you have:

  • formally accepted your offer of a place
  • returned your signed acceptance and refund forms
  • paid the fee for your first semester of study
  • arranged overseas student health cover

Application process

The student visa application process is handled by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

If you’re a student under 18 years, you’ll need to prove you have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements while studying here in Australia. This means either having a carer and accommodation approved by the University or living in accommodation and a welfare arrangement approved by Home Affairs (this is usually a relative).

Student visa holders are covered by the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislative framework. It’s important you understand your rights and responsibilities under this framework, particularly the student visa conditions including course progress requirements.

Further information