How to apply

A research degree

Learn alongside internationally recognised researchers with a postgraduate research degree. Students with qualifications from UWA are world-class researchers, and our graduates become leaders in a wide range of industries around the globe.

Your entry requirements

  • As a prospective research student, you are required to meet the entry conditions set out by the Graduate Research School.

If you do not meet the criteria for entry or are uncertain, contact the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Pre-candidature team.

Important dates

There are no deadlines to apply for Higher Degree by Research courses apart from the Master of Research and combined Doctor of Philosophy and master’s courses (check individual course page for more information).

If you're applying for a UWA scholarship, these have specified opening rounds and deadlines. 

Frequently asked questions

Am I eligible to study a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) course?
We offer multiple pathways to study a HDR degree at UWA. If you don't meet the criteria for direct entry to your course of choice or are uncertain, contact the HDR Pre-candidature team.
How do I find a supervisor?
You only need to identify a supervisor to work with by searching the registry and then contact the HDR Pre-candidature team to confirm supervision. No contact with a particular supervisor needs to be made at this point.
Where can I find information about available scholarships?
Visit our Scholarships website.
What's the deadline for submitting my application?

There are no deadlines unless you're applying for a UWA scholarship. We don't take applications to start a research degree in December or January though, due to the University’s shutdown period.

When will I hear about my application?

When you’ve been invited to put through a formal application, you should hear from us within two to four weeks.

When do I have to accept my offer by?

Your offer is valid up until the commencement date; however, if you’re an international student we recommend you accept at least a few months earlier to allow time for visa approval and your preparations to move. If you need to defer your offer, contact us at

How do I defer my offer?

Contact us at if you have received a non-scholarship offer.

What if my application is declined?

If your expression of interest is declined, you'll be notified at that stage. If your application is declined at a later stage, you'll be issued an official letter to indicate your application was not successful.

How do I make the switch to UWA?
We offer numerous ways for you to make the move to UWA. 

Start my application

Contact the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Pre-candidature team to start your application.