Irish Leaving Certificate
The Leaving Certificate is the school-leaving certificate in the Republic of Ireland.
The University of Western Australia welcomes applications from students who have completed the Irish Leaving Certificate (Established) (Scrúdú Cruthaithe na hArdteistiméireachta). To be admitted to the University, you must
- satisfy the University's English language competence requirement by satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects detailed in the table below;
- achieve a sufficient number of points to be offered a place
- satisfy any prerequisite subject requirements for your chosen course and major
Minimum entry scores
Irish Leaving Certificate students must meet equivalent entry standards to other applicants. The following table provides an overview of the points considered equivalent to various Australian Tertiary Admission Ranks.
|Aggregate of best five higher subjects in final year||ATAR equivalent|
- The Leaving Certificate must be issued by the Irish State Examinations Commission (Coimisiún na Scrúduithe Stáit).
- Must include at least five subjects passed at Higher Level.
- Irish Leaving Certificate results are recorded as letter grades, based on H1=8.5, H2=8, H3=6.5, H4=5, H5=4, H6=2.5.
- Irish Leaving Certificate results (2016 prior) are recorded as letter grades, based on A1=8, A2=7, B1=6.5, B2=6, B3=5.5, C1=5, C2=4.5, C3=4, D1=3, D2=2, D3=1.
The following table shows Irish Leaving Certificate subject equivalents to WA Certificate of Education courses, which will satisfy course and major prerequisites.
|WA course||Irish Leaving Certificate equivalent|
|English/Literature||English Language - Higher - C2 or higher|
|Mathematics 2C/2D||Mathematics - Higher - D3 or higher|
|Mathematics 3A/3B||Mathematics - Higher - C2 or higher|
|Mathematics 3C/3D||Mathematics - Higher - C2 or higher|
|Mathematics: Specialist 3C/3D||No equivalent|
|Chemistry 3A/3B||Chemistry - Higher - C2 or higher|
|Physics 3A/3B||Physics - Higher - C2 or higher|