sing Sitecore.Mvc


Translation Studies Pathways

Master the art of language with a degree in Translation Studies and become a bilingual/multilingual professional, able to compete and thrive in an increasingly globalised job market.
5 Stars

How to Apply

Group of smiling students wearing UWA shirts 

Ready for the next step?

Find out how to apply through our simple online application process. 

We'll guide you through our entry requirements, admission pathways available to you and application deadlines for your chosen course. 

We can’t wait for you to join us!  

Apply now

Contact Us

Contact us


Student Central

The University of Western Australia (M355), 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, Western Australia 6009


131 UWA (131 892)


(+61 8) 6488 1000


8.30am - 5pm AWST, Monday - Friday

Frequently asked questions

Pathway details

You can pursue a Master of Translation Studies at UWA via an Assured Pathway after completing a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a relevant major. If you are not completing the Assured Pathway, you are not required to study the BA, however you must have a language as your second major. The course is available for English and Chinese, French, German or Italian (in both directions).

5 years to be a


Translator To become a translator you need to study a three-year bachelor's degree followed by a two-year master's degree TRANSLATOR = 2 MASTER’S 3+ BACHELOR’S
5 years to be a
Translation Studies

Pathways for mature-age students

If you will be aged 20 years or older on 1 March (for Semester 1 entry) or 1 August (for Semester 2 entry) you qualify for our mature-age-entry pathways.
Translation Studies
translation studies

Assured Pathways for high school leavers

Minimum ATAR
TISC Codes
  • UWTRA (Arts)
  • UWTRP (Philosophy [Honours] Assured Pathway)
  • BA + MTransSt
  • BPhil (Hons) + MTransSt
Limited places
  • No
Selection criteria
  • ATAR Only
Undergraduate major
Conditions for progress to Postgraduate Study

[1] This pathway is also available through the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours). Students taking this pathway require an ATAR of 98.00.

[2] Bachelor of Philosophy students will take an additional year to complete this pathway.

translation studies
Translation Studies

Standard entry

You can enrol in translation studies by completing a bachelor's degree after high school. You’ll also need the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 65 per cent in the Level 3 units of a relevant major.
Translation Studies
More information

More about this course

This course fosters critical thinking and analytical skills through latest technologies and frontier translation theories such as corpus-based and localisation. There are opportunities for individual supervision of a translation research project, and the course includes a work placement component where students apply knowledge in industry environments.
More information