Your allocated student office is your one-stop shop for all your course-related queries. We can assist with:

  • course advice and creating a study plan
  • checking your enrolment
  • advising on global and extra-curricular experiences
  • directing you to student support services
  • helping you with complex matters regarding special consideration, credit transfer, approved leave, academic progression, graduation eligibility and other requests

The Science Student Advising Office is located in the Agriculture Central building at the Perth campus.

Visit us during our office hours, Monday - Thursday 9.30am - 4.30pm, Friday 10am - 4.30pm, and closed  Tuesday between 12- 1pm.
Closed weekends, public holidays and university shutdown period. 

Phone us on +61 8 6488 3235 

Email us via askUWA

Book an online appointment with a Student Adviser

Events and opportunities

International fieldwork in Agriculture and Environmental Science

Attend a Thai university for two weeks and investigate how agriculture in a developing country can contribute to its economic development.

International fieldwork in Geography

Escape the Aussie winter for a European summer and earn credit towards your degree. Travel to Germany and Austria to learn about cultural studies, geography and planning, tourism, public transport and urban development.

International Fieldwork Project

Investigate the agricultural production-environmental impact nexus in a real-world context by going to Vietnam or working one-on-one with a UWA academic adviser on a case study.  


Head to Indonesia with ACICIS, a non-profit consortium of universities that develops and coordinates high-quality, in-country study options.

Get involved

Student clubs and societies

UWA has more than 160 clubs and societies. Join up to attend social events, network with other students and get more than a degree. There are clubs specifically for people interested in science, including the Science Union, which is the second-oldest faculty society at UWA and one of the largest clubs on campus.

Browse all student clubs


Successfully completing an honours degree not only prepares you for higher-degree study at master’s and PhD level, but demonstrates to prospective employers a higher capacity for independent learning and research, along with enhanced problem-solving, critical thinking, independent learning and communication skills.

Our students

Bryan is a third-year Sport Science and Exercise and Health student, who completed an internship with UWA Sport.

 In Year 10 when all the universities came to my high school, I talked to the people from UWA about Sport Science and Exercise and Health and from that moment onwards I knew that is what I wanted to do.

He loves Sport Science because most of the learning is practical work rather than sitting in classrooms.

It’s also a very social degree as we see each other quite often and have to participate in activities together, friendships are formed which makes time at university more pleasant.

The UWA Uni7s Rugby Team is Western Australia's women's team comprising students and elite Australian players. Bryan's role as an intern at UWA Sport involved assisting the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach to carry out training sessions and be an extra pair of eyes in the gym to ensure safe and effective lifting.

During this time I realised working in a gym or in sports strength and conditioning was a possible career for me. When the chance to be a part of a team where I could learn from someone with more experience than me was offered, I immediately took the opportunity. After all, learning is best done by doing.

Support for postgraduate research students

For general information on research degrees, visit our Research page or head to the Graduate Research School website.

Getting started

We want you to have the best possible start to your postgraduate research studies, so we have prepared a new researcher checklist, identifying the essential information required to get you started. We suggest working through the checklist within a fortnight of your enrolment. For further advice, your supervisor, graduate research coordinator or your School's Academic Services team can assist you.


Computer access

Newly enrolled full-time and part-time postgraduate research students have access to a dedicated UWA laptop/computer. Current postgraduate research students may also request a UWA computer and these requests will be supported on a priority basis. To arrange access, submit a completed Computing Request Form to [email protected].

Email accounts

We send official correspondence to your email, so check your messages regularly. You'll need an active UniID account to access your emails. In addition to your general UWA email address, you are also eligible for a research email alias. The default format is: [email protected]. Visit the FAQ on askUWA for more.


Your UWA computer will be networked to a printer. Arrange access by contacting [email protected]. Once you have access, your Academic Services team can provide you with a personal photocopier access code,where applicable.

Study spaces

Specific workstations have been set aside across the Faculty for you to use. If you'd like to access one of these spaces, contact your Academic Services team to check availability.

HDR Support Grant

We provide all postgraduate research students with an amount of money to support research during your candidature. These funds are placed into a dedicated account known as a Project Grant (PG), which is managed in conjunction with your supervisor. The Financial and Staff Resources team can provide further advice on accessing funds in your PG and your account balances. 

Doctoral degrees

Full time: $1,500 for three years* 

Master's by research

Full time: $1,500 for two years* 

*To be transferred after your enrolment.

These amounts are all inclusive and must cover all research costs, including project-specific costs, training, conference expenses and computing or software requirements beyond that provided by the Faculty.

How to access your funds

You will work with your supervisors to develop an approved research budget. Before requesting to draw on these funds, consult with your supervisors. To request a purchase, complete the Purchase Requisition Form and seek the approval of your coordinating supervisor. This form will be directed to [email protected]. Contact [email protected] for any financial queries you and your supervisors have during your studies.

Key contacts

For general enquiries, email your School's Academic Services team.

For candidature enquiries, email your Graduate Research Coordinator.

School contacts

Biological Sciences

Earth Sciences

Human Sciences

Molecular Sciences

Psychological Science

UWA School of Agriculture and Environment

Other contacts

More for Science students

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.