Your student advising office is your one-stop shop for all your course-related queries. We can assist with:

  • course advice and creating a study plan
  • checking your enrolment     
  • advising on global and extra-curricular experiences
  • directing you to student support services
  • helping you with complex matters regarding special consideration, credit transfer, approved leave, academic progression, graduation eligibility and other requests

If you have a question, get in touch with Student Central or your student advising office by:

Featured opportunities


Indigenous Studies

Knowing Country: The Dreaming and Darwin

Embark upon a journey across space and time to examine the relationship between human beings and the environment. Examining both Indigenous perspectives and the science of natural history, you’ll explore philosophy, techniques and scientific rationale. The unit comprises a short lecture series and interactive field work in Albany.


WA Parliamentary Research Program

This program offers research internships through the WA Parliament. You’ll complete a research project that will benefit the state, while building your knowledge and skills. Available to high-performing third-year students from any major, students are put forward to the WA Parliament using a selection process that may include a written expression of interest, interview, academic standing, topic selection, and consideration of the program guidelines. Register your interest and stay up-to-date by emailing


Get involved

Arts Union

Representing students in a Bachelor of Arts, the Arts Union offers support in areas of education, social affairs, professional development and welfare, and hosts social, educational, sports and career events throughout the year.

UWA Politics Club

Interested in current affairs and keen to learn more about political issues? The UWA Politics Club holds a range of events throughout the year, including debates, panel discussions, quiz nights, lectures and more, often with high-profile experts in attendance.

UWA Music Students’ Society

If you’re studying a music unit, join the Music Students’ Society to gain free entry to the year-long concert series, discounted entry to education and social events, and attend the annual ball.

Related clubs


Learn a language

Enhance your learning and employability by studying one of eight languages on offer. Select Chinese (Mandarin), Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German or Spanish. UWA's unique Diploma in Modern Languages allows you to study a language major alongside your current bachelor's degree, with study abroad and exchange programs on offer. Studying units overseas allows you to fully immerse yourself in your chosen language, gain first-hand experience of another culture, and meet new people. For more on our language resources, check out our Library Guide.



Make the most of your time at UWA by completing an internship as part of your course. Opportunities are available throughout the year for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. There are internship opportunities to suit everyone, and plenty of ways to get involved. The McCusker Centre for Citizenship helps make a social impact by linking you with not-for-profit organisations. With placement opportunities around the world, you’ll develop invaluable workplace skills and global experience to prepare you for your future career.

More for Arts students


Language placement test

If you wish to study Chinese language units for the first time at UWA, you'll need to take a placement test. The test takes about 30 minutes and does not require any preparation. It is designed to determine the most suitable language stream for your skill level and experience, and is required even if you are a complete beginner.

Students can submit class timetable preferences in the Class Allocation System (CAS) for any enrolled units as usual, even if the current status for that unit is 'invalid'.

From 2020, Indonesian language students will not sit a language placement test, and will be tested during Week 1 classes instead to ensure you're in the correct unit for your language skill level.

What to bring

Your UWA student campus card or offer letter; and a pen or pencil. We recommend bringing a bag if you are carrying other belongings with you.

What will happen?

When you arrive, you'll be asked to place all belongings (including mobile phones and electrical devices, which should be powered down or set to silent) at the front of the lecture theatre. You will only require a pen or pencil, and your UWA Student ID number on hand.

You will be directed to take a seat and read the instructions projected on the screen. A test paper will be given to you to complete as much as you can, to the best of your knowledge. If you don’t know anything – don’t worry, many students will be at beginner level. When you finish your paper, raise your hand and a member of staff will collect your paper from you and give it to one of the language assessors who will be at the back of the room. Remain in your seat.

Once the assessor has examined your test, they will call your name and you will speak to them briefly. The assessor will advise you of the unit you are eligible for. Once assessed, collect your belongings and leave the room. In the days following, you will receive an email from your Student Advising Office to your UWA student email account informing you that the 'invalid' status of your enrolment has been waived; or, advising you which unit you can enrol in. Attend any classes or lectures for the unit as a guest until your 'invalid' status has been waived by your Student Advising Office. Check the status of your unit in studentConnect. You will be able to access LMS materials once your 'invalid' is waived. As this process takes time, ask your Unit Coordinator to print Week 1 & 2 LMS materials for you, if possible.

After the test

If you have been assessed at a different level than what you currently have an 'invalid' for, change your enrolment via studentConnect as soon as possible. If it is after Week 1 (and the 'Last day to add a unit'), contact your Student Advising Office for advice.

Already sat a language placement test?

If you're already studying Chinese or Indonesian and have received a notice regarding a placement test, and/or have already sat a test previously, you will not need to sit a Language Placement Test again. First check that you are enrolling in the correct unit code (for example, you might want the Level 2 code CHIN2403 Chinese 3 rather than Level 1 code CHIN1403 Chinese 3); and, if you think you're enrolling in the right unit code but are still receiving an 'invalid' status, contact your Student Advising Office for assistance.

Chinese Native or Near-Native Speakers

Native or near-native speakers of Chinese are able to enrol for the following units providing they have space in their course: CHIN3409, CHIN3410, CHIN2003, CHIN2004. If this is you, and you have an 'invalid', let us know through askUWA and use the subject line 'Chinese Native Speaker'. You do not need to sit a placement test.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.