UWA's Academic Skills Centre
Participate in free, innovative academic skills development programs to improve your study techniques, time management, writing, communication, English language, maths, stats and research skills.
In-person drop-in feedback
Drop-ins @ Reid Library
Drop by the ground floor of the Reid Library between 10am-12pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays during semester for on-the-spot drop-in advice with UWA Academic Skills Advisers. You can get help with:
- Writing and Referencing
- Maths and Stats
No need to book; just come along.
Academic skills workshops
Develop your writing, research, English language, presenting, maths and stats skills in specialised academic skills workshops conducted via Microsoft Teams.
Find out more and register via UniHub. We will email your UWA account with links to join sessions.
Get your copy of the STUDYSmarter workshop program.
After-hours study help
As a UWA student, you can get a free Studiosity account for after hours study support. Your account enables you to chat live with an external tutor and to send assignments for feedback within 24 hours.
You can get study resources and find key contacts below and through UWA Study Success in your LMS. Is your unit using the Cadmus assessment platform? Familiarise yourself with how it works in the UWA Study Success LMS organisation.
Using AI Tools
Resources produced with students by students for students
- Register for UWA's new International Student Success program for free, online practical advice to help you adjust to studying in Australia.
- Access a Survival Guide with additional study tips for UWA international students.
- Get your copy of our Academic Writing in English workbook.
- Print, view or download the English Language Survival Guides booklet.
Planning and online learning tools
- UWA Assignment date calculator
- Priorities planner
- Semester planner
- Gantt chart
- Group or team agreement template
- Self-directed learning
- Online etiquette
- Healthy learning online
Find out more about UWA's support for academic skills on StudySmarter UWA on YouTube.
Write better assignments with our video below or view our videos on the Writing and assignment tips playlist on our YouTube channel.
Assignment Survival Guides
Get better marks for your assignments. Download our Survival Guides.
English in context videos
Perfect your English language skills with our videos below or view our videos on the English in Context playlist on our YouTube channel.
English language Survival Guides
Improve your English language skills every day. Download our Survival Guides.
- Improving English [PDF File, 675.9 KB]
- Listening and speaking in English [PDF File, 1.5 MB]
- Reading and writing in English [PDF File, 485.6 KB]
- Spelling in English [PDF File, 550.0 KB]
- Thinking in English and English vocabulary [PDF File, 862.5 KB]
- Understanding accents and Australian English [PDF File, 592.1 KB]
Improve your essay writing with our videos below or view them on the Essays playlist on our YouTube channel.
Essay Survival Guides
Write better essays. Download our Survival Guides.
Sharpen your exam writing skills with our videos below or view our videos on the Exams playlist on our YouTube channel.
Exam Survival Guides
Improve your exam performance. Download our Survival Guides.
- Exam essays [PDF File, 623.1 KB]
- Memorising [PDF File, 284.3 KB]
- Multiple choice exams [PDF File, 472.5 KB]
- Open book exams [PDF File, 240.6 KB]
- Preparing for Exams [PDF File, 479.0 KB]
- Tests and quizzes [PDF File, 204.3 KB]
Grammar and editing
Enhance your grammar and editing skills with our videos below or view our videos on the Grammar playlist on our YouTube channel.
Grammar and Editing Survival Guides
Improve your grammar and edit your work. Download our Survival Guides.
- Active and passive voice [PDF File, 547.1 KB]
- Clarity [PDF File, 216.0 KB]
- Clear writing and editing [PDF File, 442.7 KB]
- Formality [PDF File, 206.7 KB]
- Linking words and phrases [PDF File, 536.5 KB]
- Objectivity [PDF File, 237.1 KB]
- Punctuation [PDF File, 187.3 KB]
- Reporting what others say [PDF File, 491.3 KB]
- Using -ing words and infinitives [PDF File, 487.6 KB]
- Using articles (a,an,the) [PDF File, 218.5 KB]
- Using prepositions [PDF File, 242.2 KB]
Help yourself to the individual and team planning tools below and plan your assignments using the UWA Assignment date calculator
Managing time and stress
Reduce time wasters and stress with our video below or view our videos on the Managing time and study playlist on our YouTube channel.
Managing time and stress Survival Guides
Download our Survival Guides.
Maths and stats
Maths and stats videos
Learn to fix common maths mistakes, cancel common factors, take good maths and stats lecture notes and more with our video below, or view our videos on the Maths and statistics tips playlist on our YouTube channel.
Maths and Stats Survival Guides
Develop your maths and stats skills. Download our Survival Guides.
Give great presentations with our video below or view these videos on the Presenting tips playlist on our YouTube channel.
Presenting Survival Guides
Give better presentations. Download our Survival Guides.
Book a librarian
Librarians can help you search for information and answer any referencing questions. They can work with you to develop your search techniques and guide you in effectively using library resources. Book a librarian for a one-to-one online consult.
Brush up your referencing skills with our video below or view these videos on the Referencing playlist on our YouTube channel.
Referencing Survival Guides
Learn about sources and how to use them more effectively. Download our Survival Guides.
- Avoiding academic misconduct [PDF File, 193.6 KB]
- Avoiding plagiarism [PDF File, 287.1 KB]
- Paraphrasing [PDF File, 664.0 KB]
- Quoting [PDF File, 258.2 KB]
Find out more about referencing at UWA in the Library's referencing guides.
Learn how to write a research proposal, an annotated bibliography, a literature review, an abstract and more with our videos below or view our videos on the Research skills playlist on our YouTube channel.
Research Survival Guides
Improve the way you write and present research. Download our Survival Guides.
Smart study videos
Build new study strategies with our video below or view these videos on the Smart study playlist on our YouTube channel.
Smart Study Survival Guides
Improve your study techniques. Download our Survival Guides.
- Get the most from lectures [PDF File, 557.1 KB]
- Make the most of tutes [PDF File, 348.5 KB]
- Study smarter not harder [PDF File, 440.8 KB]
- UWA Lingo Glossary [PDF File, 677.8 KB]
- Working in groups [PDF File, 418.1 KB]
- Writing emails [PDF File, 708 KB]
- Self-directed learning [PDF File, 644 KB]
- Giving and responding to feedback [PDF File, 565 KB]
- Implementing feedback [PDF File, 664 KB]
Skills for Science
Skills for Science videos
Develop skills for Science with our videos below or view our videos on the Science playlist on our YouTube channel.
Skills for Science Survival Guides
Develop skills for your Science assignments. Download our Survival Guides or pick them up from the STUDYSmarter Resource area.
Thinking and notes
Thinking and notes videos
Write better notes, read more effectively, and think and write more critically with our video below, or view these videos on the Thinking and notes playlist on our YouTube channel.
Thinking and Notes Survival Guides
Read, note, think and write effectively at uni. Download our Survival Guides.