We understand that sometimes life presents unforeseen challenges that can have a serious impact on your finances.
UWA STUDY SUPPORT FUND
If you need financial help for an emergency to cover expenses related to your education, we may be able to provide you with financial assistance through UWA’s Study Support Fund.
Download the application form [PDF 217KB]
Once completed, submit to UWA Student Welfare, First Floor, Student Central (Building 352).
- Before submitting your application, ensure all fees for previous semesters have already been paid; extensions will only be considered for tuition fees due in the upcoming semester. If an extension is granted, all fees must be paid by the last date of the teaching period for the coming semester, which is before the exam period.
- In gathering your supporting documentation, it’s important to remember to include details of your income and expenses to help you determine whether your proposal to pay all fees before the end of semester is realistic.
- The current financial difficulties you are experiencing should be a temporary circumstance; you will need to be able to show that the financial difficulties will have been resolved before next semester to ensure you don’t need a further extension.
Due date: Tuition fees are due to be paid in the first week of semester. As such, completed applications should ideally be received before the start of the semester.
If, after reading through this information and the application form, you would like to speak with someone about your circumstances and your options, make an appointment to see the International Student Support team via askUWA. They can also provide you with advice about completing a Fee Extension application and the sorts of documents you need to submit as evidence to support your case.
Submitting an application does not guarantee it will be approved. We will send you a confirmation email within 10 working days to let you know we have received your application or if we need further information.
Completed applications will be considered within 20 working days of receipt, and an outcome notification will be sent to your UWA student email account.
If your application is approved, you will need to complete the Acceptance Form within 10 working days to confirm you wish to accept the offer of a payment extension, and to confirm you understand any conditions attached to that extension. Extensions will not be granted beyond the end of the teaching period of the semester for which the extension is granted.
If your application is not approved, you have 20 working days from receipt of the outcome notification to pay your fees to avoid cancellation of your enrolment and, if applicable, your CoE.
If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of your application and believe you have grounds, you may submit an appeal within 20 working days of receiving the outcome notification. Details of the appeal process will be included in the outcome notification.
Grounds for appeal
You may have grounds to appeal if you can demonstrate:
- the application or assessment process was procedurally irregular or unfair
- new information is available that could not reasonably have been provided at the time of the application process and that, in all likelihood, would have affected the application outcome, or
- the application outcome was not fair or reasonable.
Outcome of appeal
You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your appeal within 10 working days of submitting it. You will receive an appeal outcome within 30 working days of receipt of appeal or, where this requirement is not met, a progress update in writing every 10 working days thereafter.
Encumbrance and late fee
An encumbrance will be added to your account while you have any outstanding balance of fees, even if you are granted a payment extension. This will prevent you from graduating, re-enrolling and/or receiving a CoE extension, academic documents, unit results, admission to a new course or release request. This may affect your ability to apply for future visas. The encumbrance will not be removed under any circumstances.
If you are granted a payment extension, you will not receive a late fee unless you do not make full payment by the extension date. There will not be any extensions of the extension date. If full fees are not received by the extension date, this may also result in your enrolment and, if applicable, CoE being cancelled, which may have implications on your visa.
Other support services
Sometimes when you experience financial difficulty, there can be other contributing factors, such as academic difficulties. If you would like to speak with someone about how you are progressing with your studies, your finances or any other matters, there are many support services available to you. You can get in touch with the International Student Support team, your Student Advising Office, the Student Guild, or our Counselling and Psychological Services team.