Launching Your Journey at UWA!

Everything you need to prepare to enrol is available on this page. 

If you need extra support, you can contact your Allocated Student Advising Office or alternatively, attend an onboarding session in June/July 2024. Either join an in-person "Getting Started Session" or if you are an international student, participate in an "Online Pre-Departure Session". For further information and to register for these events, please visit the Orientation tab.

Start my preparation

1: Check my UWA email 

Your need to activate your UniID account to access a range of Online services, including your UWA email. This email is the official communication channel that the University uses to contact you with important updates and helpful information. It is beneficial to check this weekly to stay up to date.

You can access your email using your eight-digit student number at the front of your email address as the username ([email protected]) and your UWA password.

Activate UniID

 2: Create my Unique Student Identifier

To qualify for Commonwealth assistance (Commonwealth Supported Place and/or HELP Loans) and graduate from UWA, obtaining a Unique Student Identifier (USI) is essential. Once you receive yours, submit it via Student Connect under 'Personal Details', then 'USI'.

Apply for your USI

3: Tax File Number

I have a tax file number

If you wish to defer your student contribution for your study through the HECS-HELP loan scheme and are enrolled in a Commonwealth-supported place, you'll be required to complete a 'Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP' form. This form will be completed electronically during your enrolment.

I don’t have a tax file number

If you don’t have a tax file number, you can apply to the Australian Taxation Office for one. You'll still be able to enrol without a tax file number; however, you won't be able to elect the option to defer your fees through the HECS-HELP loan scheme. Once you receive your tax file number, you can use studentConnect to complete the 'Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP' form and elect to defer your tuition and/or SSAF fees. You generally receive your TFN within 28 days after we receive your completed application and required identity documents. If you haven't received your TFN after 28 days, you will need to contact the Australian Taxation Office.

Information regarding your 'Tax File Number'

  • A tax file number (TFN) is your personal reference number in the tax and superannuation systems. This must be your number you use to complete the HELP form and not a parent, sibling or friend's TFN.
  • Your personal details recorded with the University need to match the exact details recorded in your myGov account, so it's important to update the University on any details that you change (e.g., First name, surname, title, gender) and ensure these correspond with your myGov account.
  • The university may ask you to verify your TFN to report your debt, and this will be done through formal University email channels. It is important to keep your TFN and personal details safe.

4: Get My Campus Card

You will need a campus card to access buildings after hours, visit common rooms, borrow items from the library and to access other services on campus.

Use CaputeME technology so you can take and submit your own photo for your first UWA Campus card.

If you already have a valid and active student campus card, you do nt need another one and you can skip this stage.

Please note, that there are some conditions associated with your campus card, so ensure you review these prior to obtaining your card.

5: Create your study plan

There are sample study plans available in the Handbook to help you create your own or you can download a sample study plan and checklist to help plan your choices.

If you are studying for the first time, first degree (Bachelor's), at UWA, you can download the example template under your first major listed in the handbook (this is known as your degree specific major) and include electives along with potentially a second major or minor.

If you need help creating a study plan, contact your assigned Course Advice Office (displayed on studentConnect).

6: Explore the UWA Handbook

To help determine what units to study, your next step is to visit the UWA Handbook.

Explore your course

Helpful Information for New UWA Students

How to enrol on studentConnect

Learn how to enrol in your course online using the UWA enrolment system, studentConnect. The enrolment steps include confirming your personal details, entering statistical information and adding your majors and units.

How to use Learning Management System (LMS)

Learn how to log on to the Learning Management System (LMS), where you can access your lecture content, unit guides, assessments and unit readings.

Further information


Getting to UWA

Find out the easiest way to get to the main campus.

Getting to UWA


Find your answers online with askUWA.