Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management
Fees and scholarships
The Graduate Certificate in comprised of twelve micro-credentials. The cost for each micro-credential is $1,100 including GST, therefore the full cost of the Graduate Certificate is $13,200 including GST for both Domestic and International students.
If you’re interested in furthering your career by studying this postgraduate degree, find out the admission details below.
To be eligible for the award of the Graduate Certificate, an applicant must have:
- (a) a Bachelor of Engineering or Master of Professional Engineering, or a degree in a related field, as recognised by UWA; and
(b) the equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 50 per cent;
- At least five years professional work experience in tailings engineering and management.
English is the language of instruction and assessment at UWA.
1) To be eligible for the award of the Graduate Certificate, an applicant must satisfy the University's English language competence requirement as set out in the University Policy on Admission: Coursework, except as otherwise indicated in the rules for this course.
2) Applicants can meet the English language competence requirement for this course by demonstrating the completion of at least three years full time (or equivalent) relevant documented professional experience, undertaken solely in English, considered by UWA to be sufficient.
How to apply
The Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management is comprised of 12 two-point micro-credentials. Students may apply for the Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management after successfully completing all 12 micro-credentials and associated assessments.
To apply for a micro-credential in the series, apply now via UWA Plus.
Ready to apply for this course? Follow the steps and you’ll be on your way to joining us at UWA .
- Check you have successfully completed all 12 micro-credentials.
- Ensure you meet the admission requirements for this course as detailed on the previous tab.
- Ensure you meet our English language competency requirements.
About the course
With the current acute shortage of suitably trained and qualified tailings management engineers and personnel, a formally recognised qualification in tailings management will improve your employability and future career outcomes.
Why study this course?
As a result of the recent Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management (GISTM), there is increasing demand for tailings professionals at the same time as the industry is experiencing a shortage of personnel with appropriate training. The GISTM will bring rapid change to the way the industry manages tailings. This Graduate Certificate will allow you to keep up with standards, technologies and guidelines dealing with tailings management.
- Each micro-credential (MC) will be offered online over an 8-week period. View Course Structure information for starting dates.
- This course is not available to international student visa holders
The Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management comprises 12 two-point micro-credentials. Students may apply for the Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management after successfully completing all 12 micro-credentials and associated assessments.
Each micro-credential is offered online over an 8-week period. Students commencing in 2022 will be able to complete in a minimum time of 18 months, if micro-credentials are taken concurrently. Alternatively, students have the flexibility to take the micro-credentials individually over a 36-month period.
- all aspects of the geomechanical behaviour of mine tailings, including methods of characterisation, laboratory testing procedures, and fundamentals of tailings geotechnics.
- quantifying all components of a water balance, current best practice procedures in risk analysis and evaluation, and international standards governing the stewardship of mine tailings storage facilities.
- how to choose between different tailings management options based on a number of high level considerations, including geotechnical stability, water and energy consumption and closure considerations
- to plan an appropriate and detailed monitoring program, including implementation of suitable governance structures and procedures, to ensure safety of tailings storage facilities, both during operations and after closure.
We understand that life is busy. That's why our Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management is designed so you can balance your work and studies. Our flexible postgraduate experience provides the opportunity to study the Graduate Certificate in Tailings Management fully online and on demand.