Student Services and Amenities Fee

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a compulsory fee charged each semester/trimester to all enrolled students.

Funds from the SSAF go towards enhancing the student experience and improving the in-person and online services available to you. See the SSAF summary on the right or the drop down options below for more information. 

SSAF income cannot be used to support political parties or associated activities.

SSAF Summary

Full year 2021 budget. Figures are correct as of February 2021.

7% Health and wellbeing services

Health promotion and training eg. Peer Educator, Mental Health First Aid, Step Up Bystander. 

18% Student support and engagement 

Careers and employability advisors and programs, transition / orientation support, eg. UWA Connect, Careers and Employability Award, UniMentor.

25% UWA Sport  

Health and fitness, UWA affiliate sport clubs, student competitive sport, High Performance Program, student development, sports events.

50% UWA Student Guild  

Student services and support (eg. financial, administrative, IT), student representation and engagement, Student Assist, sub-councils and Guild Departments, Volunteer Centre, student clubs and societies, food and drink, student training, Secondhand Bookshop, orientation and O-Day.

How much is it?

The maximum SSAF rate is reviewed and set by the Commonwealth government annually and confirmed around October for the following year. The UWA Senate approves the annual rate each year for full-time students at the Perth campus (calculated based on your enrolled study load). 

The below table shows the 2021 annual charge for different groups of students (instalment amounts may vary slightly due to rounding). You will receive electronic Statements of Account via studentConnect to pay the fee in instalments either per semester or trimester depending on your course. SSAF does not attract GST.


  • Semester-based studies
    Home campus Period Full-time on campus Part-time on campus Full-time off campus Part-time off campus

    Annual charge $313 $156.50 $156.50 $78.25
    1st instalment $156.50 $78.25 $78.25 $39.12
    2nd installment $156.50 $78.25 $78.25 $39.12

    Port Hedland;
    Warren Blackwood
    Annual charge $156.50 $78.25 $78.25 $39.12
    1st instalment $78.25 $39.12 $39.12 $19.56
    2nd instalment $78.25 $39.12 $39.12 $19.56
  • Trimester-based studies
    Home campus Period Full-time on campus Part-time on campus Full-time off campus Part-time off campus
    Crawley Annual charge $313 $156.50 $156.50 $78.25
    1st instalment $104.33 $52.16 $52.16 $26.08
    2nd instalment $104.33 $52.16 $52.16 $26.08
    3rd instalment $104.33 $52.16 $52.16 $26.08
  • Medical students ('clinical years')
    Year/Course Period Full-time Part-time
    Fourth, fifth and sixth year Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery; Fourth year Bachelor of Podiatric Medicine; Fifth year Bachelor of Dental Science; Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Clinical Dentistry; Second year Doctor of Dental Medicine; Third year Doctor of Podiatric Medicine

    Annual charge $156.50 $78.25
    First instalment $78.25 $39.12
    Second instalment $78.25 $39.12
  • Postgraduate students in the below courses
    Course Period Full-time Part-time
    Graduate Certificate in Adult Sleep Science;
    Graduate Certificate in Applied Maritime Archaeology;
    Graduate Certificate in Autism Diagnosis;
    Graduate Certificate in Paediatric Respiratory Science;
    Graduate Certificate in Paediatric Rheumatology;
    Graduate Certificate in Paediatric Sleep Science;
    Graduate Certificate in Regional Development;
    Graduate Diploma in Dental Sleep Medicine;
    Graduate Diploma in Neurological Rehabilitation;
    Graduate Diploma in Neurological Rehabilitation (Paediatrics);
    Graduate Diploma in Sleep Science;
    Graduate Diploma in Neonatology;
    Master of Manual Therapy (Coursework);
    Master of Regional Development (Coursework);
    Master of Neonatology (Coursework & Dissertation);
    Master of Building Information Modelling (Online).
    Annual charge $156.50 $78.25
    1st instalment $78.25 $39.12
    2nd instalment $78.25 $39.12
  • Research degree students associated with the below schools and centres, or overseas
    School/Centre Period Full-time Part-time
    UWA Dental School;
    UWA Medical School;
    School of Allied Health;
    School of Population and Global Health
    Centre for Ophthalmology and Visual Science
    Annual charge $156.50 $78.23
    1st instalment $78.25 $39.12
    2nd instalment $78.25 $39.12
    Research students undertaking candidature overseas Annual charge Can apply to have it set to $0 Can apply to have it set to $0

When do I need to pay it?

SSAF is invoiced in instalments to help spread the cost over the year, and to reflect your enrolment load in different study periods. You will receive an electronic Statement of Account (eSOA) for the first instalment in January for Trimester 1 and February for Semester 1. The eSOA for the second and third instalments of Trimester 2 and 3 will be issued in April and July. The second instalment for Semester 2 will be issued in late July. A reminder email notification will be issued if payments are outstanding after the due date on the invoice. Details of how to pay are included on the eSOA.

Payment due dates

Semester 1 (FE-XS1): 1 June
Semester 2 (FE-XS2): 1 November

Trimester 1 (FE-XT1): 1 April
Trimester 2 (FE-XT2): 1 July
Trimester 3 (FE-XT3): 1 November

Are there any exemptions to paying SSAF?

All students enrolled at UWA, including cross-institutional students and UWA staff enrolled as students, pay SSAF. The only exemptions are for students undertaking programs run by the Centre for English Language Teaching, UWA Extension and preparatory programs run by the School of Indigenous Studies, and students studying at UWA under a formal exchange agreement who pay fees to their home institution.

Research degree candidates undertaking their research overseas may apply to have their fee set at $0 for a period by sending an email request to the Graduate Research School with details of the period of time you will be overseas.

Can I delay paying my SSAF or use the SA-HELP loan scheme?

Eligible students can defer partial or full payment of their SSAF by utilising the SA-HELP loan schemeAustralian permanent residents, New Zealand citizens, international students and cross-institutional students are not eligible for SA-HELP and cannot defer payment. If your SSAF isn’t paid on time, an encumbrance will be added to your account.

The encumbrance will prevent you from:

  • viewing unit results
  • re-enrolling
  • receiving official documents
  • receiving a new Confirmation of Enrolment
  • graduating

Further HELP loan information is available for students at the Study Assist website.

Can I get a refund of my SSAF?

If you withdraw from your studies or reduce your enrolment prior to the relevant semester/trimester census date such that your SSAF liability is reduced, you may be eligible for a full or partial refund. There is no requirement for you to apply for a refund; allowable refunds are issued automatically.

The University is not permitted to remit SA-HELP debts under the Higher Education Support Act 2003. If you withdraw from units after the relevant census date and are successful in receiving a tuition fee remission, you remain liable for any SA-HELP debt incurred, and may remain liable for any upfront SSAF payments made to UWA.

Payment options

  • Online through studentConnect

    Log in to studentConnect and pay by MasterCard, Visa or Western Union (foreign credit card or bank transfers) through the secure University Student Fee Payment Portal by viewing your individual Statement of Account or outstanding balance.

  • Australia Post

    Present your Statement of Account intact at any Australia Post agency to pay by cash, EFTPOS, personal or bank cheque, or money order (drawn upon an Australian bank in Australian dollars). Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Australia Post'.

  • POST Billpay

    Pay by POST Billpay, MasterCard or Visa by phone on 13 18 16 (or from overseas on +61 13 18 16). Quote the Billpay code and reference number from your Statement of Account.

  • Cheque or savings account

    Use BPAY or phone banking from your cheque or savings account. You will need to quote the biller code and reference number from your Statement of Account.

  • Post

    Mail your tear-off slip from your Statement of Account with your personal or bank cheque or money order (drawn upon an Australian bank in Australian dollars) payable to 'The University of Western Australia' to:

    Student Administration (M356)

    The University of Western Australia

    35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth

    Western Australia 6009

  • Telegraphic transfer (international students only)

    Give your bank the following information and email a copy of the remittance advice to the Fees team via askUWA.

    Payment to: The University of Western Australia

    Account name: The University of Western Australia (General Account)

    Bank: Westpac Banking Corporation

    Branch and Account number: 036054-304688

    IBAN: 036054304688

    SWIFT code: WPACAU2S

    Bank address: University Campus, UWA Guild Village Hackett Drive, CRAWLEY WA 6009

    Payment details: Student number and student name

    Instruction to banker: Send telegraphic on 'Credit account and advise' terms

  • In person at UWA

    Visit the Current Student counter at Student Central to pay via credit or debit card. Cash is not accepted.

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.