European Languages and Cultures
Become a bilingual citizen of the world at WA’s largest European language teaching centre
Immerse yourself in European languages and culture, and discover more about how we can communicate between languages.
Our students learn to see the world through new languages, become bilingual citizens of the world and move between cultures with ease. They learn to translate words and ideas between the European languages and cultures of French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Our teaching and research encompass the ways different languages and cultures have shaped modern Australia, and explore how the literature, history, film and art of European societies open up new understandings of what it is to be human and to function in human societies.
We offer 10 languages for study
The largest European language teaching centre in WA
Award-winning teachers, students and alumni
Hear about our research
As the largest provider of language studies in WA, our research examines the political, social and cultural aspects of contemporary Europe with a particular focus on the French, German, Italian and Spanish languages. We learn about the intricacies of language and language history, and aim to drive our students to success.
Translation and Transcultural Research
Understanding the social and cultural issues of translation and multilingualism, migration, transcultural identity construction and communication.Read more
European Languages and Cultures courses
Hear about our courses
Hear about our four European languages available: French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Explore how these languages can unlock a new realm of experiences and perspectives on the world.
Hear about our courses
Bachelor of Modern Languages
The Bachelor of Modern Languages enables students with a particular interest in world languages and cultures to study two languages in depth. We offer the largest range of languages of any WA university where you can choose from eight modern languages. Hear about how you can combine Modern Languages with a number of other degrees.
Community program and volunteers
We have an active program for European Languages and Cultures within the community. We are currently seeking volunteers in the following three areas:
- Foreign language speakers for out-of-class language practice.
- Promotion of languages at university events and school visits.
- Guest speakers who use languages in their professional lives.
If you would like to get involved, contact Professor John Kinder.
We have a generous range of European Languages and Cultures scholarships that enable students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level to focus on their studies.
- Sedgwick Languages Scholarship
- Centenary Trust for Women (CTW) Elizabeth Sarfaty Scholarship in Arts
- Stephen Dornan Scholarship in Undergraduate French Studies
- Leon Tauman Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship in French Studies
- I. and B. Jackson Postgraduate French Studies Scholarship
- Rene Levy Memorial Fund (French)
- Nicolas Baudin Program: "Internship in France" initiative
- Caterina and Pasqualino Strano Memorial Scholarship in Italian Language
View full scholarship information.