Using satellite data to enhance our understanding of fisheries in the Indian Ocean and globally
- Suggested readings
- Pauly D and Zeller D (2016) Catch reconstructions reveal that global marine fisheries catches are higher than reported and declining. Nature Communications 7: 10244.
- Tickler D, Meeuwig JJ, Palomares M-L, Pauly D and Zeller D (2018) Far from home: Distance patterns of global fishing fleets. Science Advances 4(8): eaar3279.
- Kroodsma DA, Mayorga J, Hochberg T, Miller NA, Boerder K, Ferretti F, Wilson A, Bergman B, White TD, Block BA, Woods P, Sullivan B, Costello C and Worm B (2018) Tracking the global footprint of fisheries. Science 359(6378): 904-908.
- Sala E, Mayorga J, Costello C, Kroodsma D, Palomares MLD, Pauly D, Sumaila UR and Zeller D (2018) The economics of fishing the high seas. Science Advances 4(6): eaat2504.
Research team leader: Professor Dirk Zeller
I lead the Sea Around Us – Indian Ocean research initiative, and direct and coordinate research activities of the Sea Around Us associated with the Indian and Pacific ocean regions, and co-direct global Sea Around Us research with Daniel Pauly (University of British Columbia). I lead research on data reconstructions and illegal and unreported fishing, fishing effort and assessments of stocks, coral reef fisheries, ocean governance, fisheries policy and economics. I have a background in tropical marine biology and fisheries ecology from James Cook University, and have professional interests in marine and fisheries conservation and global fisheries sustainability, strategic and global policy developments and resource economics.
How to apply
Interested in becoming part of this project? Complete the following steps to submit your expression of interest:
Step 3 - Lodge application
After you have discussed your project with the research team leader, you should be in a position to proceed to the next step of the UWA application process: Lodge an application. Different application procedures apply to domestic and international students.
- Domestic students
The Australian Government's Endeavour Awards and Scholarships are available to Australian applicants for study in participating countries and regions.
- International students
A range of scholarships are available from international organisations and governments. The full list, organised by country, is available on the Future Students website.
In addition, all international students may apply for International Research Training Program scholarships.
The Australian Government's Endeavour Awards and Scholarships are available to international applicants from participating countries and regions.
- Indigenous students
- Indigenous students are encouraged to apply for Indigenous Postgraduate Research Supplementary Scholarships.
- Forrest Foundation scholarships
- All international and Australian students who wish to study towards the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at The University of Western Australia may apply for Forrest Scholarships.
Similar projects you may be interested in
Using big-data science in fisheries and marine conservation
This research project uses fisheries big-data to address strategic policy questions and national needs of Indian Ocean Rim countries.
- PhD opportunities
- Read More
Fisheries ecology and oceanography to inform management of the western rock lobster
This UWA research project is proposed to repeat sampling conducted in the region during late 1980's in the region and investigate linkages to rock lobster life-history dynamics and productivity.
- PhD opportunities
- Read More