UWA Farm Ridgefield
UWA Farm Ridgefield is a 1600-hectare mixed-enterprise farm near Pingelly in Western Australia’s grain belt, which experiences a Mediterranean climate and an annual rainfall of 425mm. The Farm supports agricultural research at UWA including the UWA Future Farm 2050 Project, which aims to imagine the best-practice farm of 2050, and build and manage it now. For more information, download the brochure.
UWA acknowledges that UWA Farm Ridgefield is situated on Gnaala Karla Boodja, and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land, and continue to practise their values, languages, beliefs and knowledge.
Future Farm 2050 Project
The FF2050 Project facilitates multidisciplinary research on future farming at local, national and international levels, leading to the development of economically viable but better farming systems.
- Clean, Green and Ethical Animal Production: Livestock products that are clean (fewer drugs, hormones and chemicals), green (better ecosystem care), and ethical (better animal welfare).
- Conservation Cropping: Sustainable rain-fed cropping through better agronomic and environmental management, founded on soil conservation and regeneration landcare.
- Restoration of ecosystems and biodiversity: Use of native species to drive change at landscape scale, restore biodiversity and provide ecosystem services, from soil biology to carbon capture and erosion prevention.
- Farmers, Community and Infrastructure: Supporting healthy people living in vibrant rural communities, engaging with the Pingelly community, and breaking down the city-country divide.
Visiting and researching at UWA Farm Ridgefield
- Visitor and user induction
Prior to visiting the farm, you must contact the Farm Manager to gain approval for your visit and let him know the date and time of the visit, names of all visitors and areas on the farm that will be visited. In addition to contacting the Farm Manager, you must complete an Induction prior to your visit. You can download the induction information here.
- Conducting research at the farm
If you want to undertake research at UWA Farm Ridgefield, please complete an Application to Conduct Research form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the application has been approved by the Institute and Farm Manager, it will be forwarded onto the Future Farm 2050 Project Committee for their approval. If you wish to discuss any details or logistics of the application you can email the Farm Manager at farm-manager-IOA@uwa.edu.au. Costs and fees for research can also be discussed with the Farm Manager. You can download the Application to Conduct Research form here.
- Staying at the farm