Centre for Muslim States and Societies
We are committed to conducting research that provides a better understanding of the beliefs and practices of Muslims in the Indian Ocean Rim countries and their interaction with global trends and narratives in other regions.
Our research themes
UWA PhD students
- Amjed al-Masaoodi'China and Iraq relations through phases of transition 1949-2016'
- Muhammad Ismail Khan'China-Pakistan Relations and the US-Indian Relations: Balancing Theory'
- Sahar Kiarashi'An analysis of newspaper coverage of Leftist Groups in Iran before and after the Iranian Revolution: 1979'
- Muhammad Dan Suleiman'(Re)framing ‘the jihad’ in West Africa: an Epistemic Disobedience'
- Ke Zhu'Gwadar Port from Different Perspectives: China, Pakistan and Balochistan'
- Flavia Zimmerman'Impact of honour cultures, honour discourses and female chastity: perceptions of Pakistani and Brazilian women on how these shape gender identity in Australia'
- Al Mawrid Australia
- Australian Institute of International Affairs WA
- Australian Association of Islamic and Muslim Societies Inc.
- Charles Sturt University
- Deakin University
- Swan Festival of Lights
- UWA Africa Research & Engagement Centre
- UWA Public Policy Institute
- Universitas Islam Indonesia
- Western Sydney University
- Professor James Piscatori, UK
- Professor Amin Saikal, ANU
- Emeritus Professor James Trevelyan, UWA
The Centre for Muslim States and Societies welcomes applicants for Honorary & Visiting Fellowships on research in its priority areas.
Please note that Fellowships are not funded by the CMSS and you need to establish that you have independent source of funding to support your affiliation with the CMSS.
The Fellowships are offered on the conditions that govern the Visiting Fellowship policies at the School of Social Sciences, The University of Western Australia:
- Regular and frequent attendance at discipline seminar series in the Centre for Muslim States and Societies, and Political Science & International Relations
- A seminar presented on your research at Centre for Muslim States and Societies
- Two guest lectures in undergraduate or postgraduate coursework classes
- Preparation of a research article (with possibility of co-authorship by a member of CMSS) to be submitted for a high-profile, peer-reviewed journal publication (6000-8,000 words long).
- Participation in a funded or non-funded research project by agreement with the Director, CMSS.
If you are interested, please fill in the form, provide a four-page research proposal and your CV.
Join the mailing list
Email us to sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news and events about the Centre.
News and events
Webinar: Dhaka’s Changing Landscape
Dr Rita Afsar will talk about her co-authored book, 'Dhaka’s Changing Landscape: Prospects for Economic Development, Social Change, and Shared Prosperity'. Friday 29 May, 10-11am.Read more
Islamic State terror in the Maldives as COVID-19 arrives
Dr Azim Zahir explains how ISIS supporters in the Maldives may be exploiting coronavirus pandemic after ISIS claims responsibility for its first attack in the countryRead more