Skip to navigation Skip to content
Winthrop Hall - The University of Western Australia

An international student’s guide to pathways into UWA

08/02/2023 |

If you’re interested in studying at The University of Western Australia (UWA), you might be wondering how to apply and how to secure an offer. 

Great news, we offer a range of entry pathways to international students from across the globe, so you can take the first step in studying an internationally recognised degree from a world top 100 university (QS 2023). 

We know that everyone’s education journey is different, so here is a quick guide to understanding the pathways available for international students at UWA:


Secondary school leavers

Many overseas secondary education qualifications meet the entry requirements for UWA degrees. You can check if qualifications from your home country are accepted here

If so, you could be offered a place at UWA if you achieve the required entry score for the undergraduate course of your choice. 

Foundation programs

Some students may not be eligible to study an undergraduate course at UWA directly after completing high school in their home countries. If this is you, don’t worry you have options. We accept entry from a range of pre-university courses such as foundation or diploma programs. You can find our list of accepted programs here.

UWA College 

Students who don’t meet the usual entry requirements for UWA can also consider a UWA College program. The UWA College Foundation and Diploma programs have been designed by UWA to prepare international students for success and can help guarantee you a place at UWA. 

The UWA College Foundation Programs helps to prepare students to enter their first year of a degree including all UWA bachelor’s degrees and assured pathways. The UWA College Diploma programs fast tracks students to enter their second year of select degrees.  

The length of both programs will depend on your current English language level.

Credit transfer and advanced standing

If you’ve already studied at another university, we may be able to grant you academic credit towards your degree if the subjects you’ve completed are equivalent in content and standard to those taught at UWA and are relevant to your UWA course. 

UWA has pre-approved credit arrangements in place with several polytechnics and other educational institutions.

English language support

The UWA Centre for English Language Teaching (CELT) offers pathways to international students who do not yet have the required level of English language proficiency for their desired course. Based on your current level of language ability, CELT offers courses from beginner to advanced levels. You can find out more here.

We also offer an Academic English and Study Skills Bridging Course for international students who don’t have the University’s required level of English proficiency. This course is also a great option even if you have an unconditional entry offer to UWA but would like to further develop your language ability and confidence before starting a degree. 

Want to know more about studying at UWA? Visit the international students page on our website, contact our Future Students Centre by submitting an online enquiry through askUWA or chat to a current international student.


Share this

Don't miss a moment

Stay up-to-date with the latest information about studying at UWA including, our courses and career pathways, event and webinars, key dates, what uni life is really like, tips for studying plus, so much more!

Related stories

Cookies help us improve your website experience. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.