Dr Paul Maginn
Senior Lecturer/Program Coordinator (Urban and Regional Planning)
School of Earth and Environment
- Contact details
- School of Earth and Environment
The University of Western Australia (M004)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 6488 2711
- BSc Ulster, GradDip(TownPlanning) Belf., PhD S.Bank
- Key research
- Urban regeneration; community participation; race/ethnic issues in urban and housing policy; qualitative research methods; Northern Irish migrants.
- Maginn, P. J. (forthcoming) 'Negotiating and Securing Access', Field Methods.
Maginn, P. J., Thompson, S and Tonts, M. (forthcming) (eds) Qualitative Urban Analysis: A International Perspective, London: Elsevier Publishing
Habibis, D., Atkinson, R., Dunbar, T., Goss, D., Easthope, H. and Maginn, P. (2007) A Sustaining Tenancies Approach to Managing Demanding Behaviour in Public Housing: A Good Practice Guide, Melbourne: AHURI.
Maginn, P. J. (2007) 'Towards more effective community participation? The potential of collaborative planning and applied ethnography', Qualitative Research, Vol. 7, No.1:25-43.
Maginn, P. J. (2006) 'Urban policy through a qualitative lens: Overview to Special Issue', Urban Policy and Research, Vol. 24, No.1:1-15
Ball, M. and Maginn, P. J. (2005) Urban change and Conflict: Evaluating the role of partnerships in urban regeneration in the UK', Housing Studies, Vol. 20, No.1:9-28.
Maginn, P. J. (2004) Urban Regeneration, Community Power and the (In)Significane of 'Race', Aldershot:Ashgate Publishing
Ball, M. and Maginn, P. J. (2004) 'The contradictions of urban policy: The case of the Single Regeneration Budget in London', Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Vol. 22:739-765.
Ball, M. Le Ny, L. and Maginn, P. J. (2003) Synergy in urban regeneration partnerships: Proprty agents' perspectives, Urban Studies, Vol. 40, No. 11:2239-2253.
Maginn, P. J., Paris, C. and Gray, P. (1999) Accommodating Irish Travellers: The public policy gap in sit provision and housing in Northern Ireland', Housing Studies, Vol. 14, No. 4:525-545
- Member, Planning Institute of Australia
- Previous positions
- 1. Lecturer, Urban and Regional Planning, University of South Australia (2005-2007).
2. Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Edith Cowan University (2003-2005)
3. Post-doctoral Research Fellow, London South Bank University (2002)
- 1. Professional Planning Skills
2. Planning and Governance
3. Professional Planning Practicum
4. Research Project
5. Social Geography and Planning
- Current external positions
- 1. Editorial Board, Urban Policy and Research
2. Practice Reviews Editor (acting), Urban Policy and Research
3. Academic Sub-Committee Member, State of Australian Cities Conference 2007
4. REPLAN List Adminstrator
- Useful links
- Current projects
- Maginn, P. J., Thompson, S. and Tonts, M. (eds) Qualitative Housing Analysis: A International Perspective, London: Elsevier
Faulkner, D. and Maginn, P. J. Scoping the Opportunities for Accessory Dwelling Units to Contribute to the Supply of Affordable Housing, Dept for Families and Communities, South Australian Government.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications