Industry Advisory Panel
The Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Industry Advisory Panels comprises of more than 100 industry leaders, who contribute insight and expertise to inform strategic direction to help shape our courses and research for the benefit of students and industry.
- Attributes of a good graduate Chemical Engineer
The UWA Chemical Engineering Industry Advisory Panel has developed the following attributes that our current students should aspire to have!
Should Chemical Engineering students need some 'pointers' regarding what broadening units to complete in order to become a well-rounded Engineer, the panel has also indicated a list of recommended broadening units for students.
Please note that this list is solely the advice and recommendation of the Chemical Engineering IAP and does not represent the view, advice and recommendation whatsoever by the School and University.
Depth of technical knowledge:
- Well rounded technical development
Good professional communication:
- Good networking
Ability to communicate through all levels of the organisation
- Be a self starter
Proactive learner, curiosity
Strong business sense:
- Development of business case
Business appropriate technical solutions
Independent / lateral thinker:
Ability to manage uncertainty
Ask sensible / sincere questions
Good investigator, ability to dig deeper
- Arthur Psaltis: Chief Executive Officer, Pritchard Francis
"I believe it is important for engineering leaders to be a conduit between tertiary institutions and the industry, for the benefit of the profession."
Arthur is CEO of Pritchard Francis, an engineering practice with 3 offices in Western Australia and The Northern Territory. The Firm is one of the largest and most highly regarded consulting practices in W.A. Arthur has been previously Managing Director and now CEO for over 20 years.
- Craig Butterworth: Geotechnical Engineer/Director, CMW
- Craig is a professionally qualified geotechnical engineer with over 20 years’ experience in Australia, New Zealand, UK and the Middle East, including ground investigations, interpretation of geotechnical data, supervision of groundworks, deep basement design and temporary works design for excavations. Craig currently acts as one of the technical leaders at CMW, based in Perth.
- Eric Jas: Strategy and Development Manager, Atteris Pty Ltd
"The biggest satisfaction I get from being on the Industry Advisory Panel at UWA is sharing my knowledge and experience with the university to help shape the way future civil engineers are educated.”
Eric is a Civil Engineer with more than 30 years’ experience in the subsea and onshore pipeline industries on all continents. Eric is the founder of Atteris, and was its General Manager between 1999 and 2018, and currently its Strategy and Development Manager.
- John Kotula: Director, Civil Infrastructure and Land Development Engineer, Kotula Civil
"I wish to give back to the University the benefit of my experience in the Civil Consulting Industry, by helping the Civil Engineering School prepare graduates for employment."
John is a specialist land development civil engineer working in both private practice and large consultancies. He has managed, studied, designed and overseen the initial ground level civil infrastructure for many new and existing residential communities including supporting retail, commercial and industrial precincts throughout Western Australia.
- Noel Boylan: Managing Director, NGI Perth
- Noel is a geotechnical engineer and leads NGI's office in Perth. He has worked on offshore energy projects around the world ranging from site characterisation through to detailed design of foundations, anchors for floating facilities and geohazards.
- Wayne Bagg: Senior Principal Engineer (Water Resource Recovery), Water Corporation
"The only way for the water industry to enhance the quality of potential future employees is to provide input and guidance to university academic programs. IAP support is one way of doing this."
Wayne is the Senior Principal Engineer (Water Resource Recovery) at the Water Corporation. He has 33 years’ water engineering experience, mostly in used water management. He has extensive expertise in the concept definition, design and commissioning of sewage and industrial effluent management infrastructure, with a strong emphasis on biological nutrient removal and reclamation technologies. He has worked with continuous, intermittent, and immersed membrane activated sludge systems, as well as simpler technologies such as waste stabilisation ponds. Design and operational optimisation of small used water management systems is a key area of interest.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Adrian Boeing: Automation Manager, Atlas Copco
- Angelo D'Agostino: Supt Asset Management High Voltage, South32 Worsley Alumnia
“The satisfaction I get from being on the Electrical Engineering Industry Advisory Board at UWA is sharing my knowledge and experience with the university to help shape the way future engineers are educated while expanding my own network.”
Angelo heads a team accountable for the integrity of a large High Voltage system with onsite generation and managing contracts related to Wholesale Electricity Market participation.After a long history in Process Systems and Control, more recently Angelo took on an Engineering role in High Voltage and is currently leading studies into the upgrade/replacement of major High Voltage assets.
- Ben Rogers: RTVis and Mine Automation Systems Lead, Rio Tinto
- Charlie Musca: Head of Engineering, RCT - Global
"The IAP is an important mechanism to ensure that UWA remains engaged with industry and takes advice and direction from industry based engineers. It is also used to ensure that students have continued exposure to engineers and industry during their time at UWA."
- Farhad Fozdar: ICT Consultant, Fozdar Consulting
"As a UWA Engineering graduate, my membership of the Industry Advisory Panel is an opportunity to reconnect with the university and assist in aligning its strategy with the needs of local industry."
Farhad received a bachelor's and master's degree in Electrical Engineering from UWA and co-founded telecommunications spin-out QPSX, where he managed a software development team. Following the system’s licensing to Siemens, he moved to Germany for several years as a consultant. Since returning to Australia he has worked in software, communications, and Intellectual Property with organisations including CSIRO (Sydney), Telstra (Melbourne), ERG, IPernica (now Nearmap), WA Department of Finance, Norwood Systems, Water Corporation, and Western Power. Farhad is an active member of the Perth startup community, as an investor and mentor.
- Hamed Sharafizad: Chief Electrical Engineer, CLOUGH
- Jenny Collier: Senior Electronic Engineer, Quantify Technology
After graduating from UWA in 1989, Jenny has worked extensively in the manufacturing and electronics industry building up expertise in electronic hardware design and mass production processes.
"Education is the key to economic sustainability in these challenging times."
- Lidia Rabbone: Project Manager, Yokogawa
- Lidia is an experienced Senior Project Manager with a demonstrated history of working in the industrial automation industry. Skilled in Process Control, Control Systems Design, SCADA, HMIs, and Modbus. Strong program and project management professional with a Electronic focused in Engineering from The University of Western Australia.
- Mark Callaghan: Engineering Manager, Atamo Pty Ltd
- Matthew Schubert: Lead Systes Engineer, Qteq
"The IAP is an important conduit to share advice, feedback and news between the University and industry. It’s great to be a part of that."
Matthew graduated from UWA with degrees in both Engineering and Science. Since graduating he has worked for a number of companies doing grassroots R&D. His industry experience has covered technical electronics and sensor design, software development, system design and team and project management.
- Peter Martino: Principal Engineer (Network Operations), Western Power
- Rob Hepburn: Chief Electrical Engineer - West, Jacobs
- Rod Love: Senior Engineer, Process & Equipment Development, Alcoa of Australia
"I enjoy the time spent with faculty staff and students to build connections between Industry and the University and create opportunities for collaboration."
Rod is currently a member of the Process & Equipment Development team within Alcoa Technology Delivery Group. Delivering expertise on design, operation , maintenance and compliance to standards & regulations of all aspects of Electrical & Instrument Engineering for key stakeholders.
- Shervin Fani: Principal Engineer, Western Power
"It has been an honour to be involved as a sitting member on the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering’s Industry Advisory Panel. Being able to inject an industry perspective on academic curriculum can hopefully help assist the University of Western Australia to provide students with the most up to date and relevant units in preparation for entry into the workforce. Having the opportunity to give back to the University which I graduated from and has provided me with such a fulfilling career is also a great privilege."
Shervin Fani is an Adjunct Associate Professor with Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences at The University of Western Australia, where he has been involved with the Power and Clean Energy Research Group since 2015. He is a Chartered Professional Engineer and a Fellow of Engineers Australia.
Since graduating, Shervin has been working in the power utility industry and in that time has been engaged in a variety of electricity distribution and transmission engineering roles, including: power systems planning and renewable integration, microgrids, standards, protection, maintenance and design. Having previously held Management positions at Western Power, he is currently employed by the organisation as a Principal Engineer advising on grid transformation, emerging technologies, alternative energy business models and sustainable network development.
- Simon Chan: Technical Director, DataTrend Pty Ltd
"It is now my 33rd year practising as a professional Electrical Engineer. Since I am a UWA Alumni, I would like to have the opportunity to contribute towards the education of young UWA engineering students. My desire is to be able to help them to be better qualified and industry-ready when they complete their studies."Simon is currently consulting to PowerPlus Energy Pty Ltd in Bayswater, Victoria. He has been engaged as an electrical, electronics and software engineering consultant to design and manufacture a bespoke Intelligent Battery Management System for monitoring, protecting and remotely managing arrays of Lithium Batteries up to 1000V DC.
Simon is also Co-founder and Technical Director of PowerPlus Energy Pty Ltd which was incorporated in late 2017 to design, manufacture, distribute and support Lithium Battery Energy Storage Systems -- right here in Melbourne, Australia. His role is to manage the design and manufacturing processes to ensure the production of a world-class high voltage Digital Battery Management System. This re-imagined BMS resides inside a modular, rack-mountable, Australian designed and manufactured lithium battery, and is designed to work hand-in-glove with Inverter-charger solutions from around the world.
- Sisira Elangasinghe: Principal Consultant, ECG Engineering/ Lycopodium Minerals
"Enjoy the opportunity given to share the knowledge with the UWA staff as well as the enthusiastic students on mining related power activities."
- Tony Preston: Managing Director, Measurement Innovation Pty Ltd
- Tony has an honours degree in Physics, Electronics and subsidiary Mathematics. He has expertise in electronic test and measurement systems, management, sales and marketing.
- Alice Turnbull: Strategic Compliance Manager, NOPSEMA (National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority)
- Alice graduated from Environmental Engineering at UWA in 2005. Since that time she has focused on building a career in environmental and social impact assessment, risk management and regulation, principally focused on the mining and oil and gas sectors.
- Jason Antenucci: Director, DHI Water and Environment Pty Ltd
“I am glad to be able to make a contribution to the education of the next generation of engineers from at UWA.”
Jason completed both his undergraduate and PhD at The University of Western Australia, and has 18 years of experience in both the research and engineering consulting industries.
- Jeff Foley: Manager - Regional WA, GHD
- Jeff is the Manager of GHD’s business in regional Western Australia, including offices in Albany, Bunbury, Geraldton and Karratha. Jeff is also a Technical Director with 18 years’ experience in the areas of wastewater treatment and recycling, integrated water management and life cycle assessment.
- Martin Pujol: Senior Hydrogeologist, Rockwater Pty Ltd
"I feel honoured to be able to contribute to a better integration and understanding of the role of groundwater into the courses of the WA’s engineers of tomorrow."
Martin's skills include expert consulting geoscience services and project management on geothermal and deep water well projects, wellsite geology, well testing, wireline geophysics and 3D groundwater flow and heat modelling. He has eight years’ experience as a geothermal hydrogeologist including more than six years’ for Rockwater in Perth (the leading low-enthalpy geothermal consultant in Australia) and a year as project manager for CFG Services, a global geothermal energy consultancy in Paris with large-scale projects in France and overseas.
- Nadelle Brooks: Principal Asset Strategy - Remote Services, Water Corporation
"The Environmental Industry Advisory Board allows me to share an external industry perspective with the University, helping them develop WA’s future environmental engineers."
Nadelle is a civil and environmental engineer, with almost 20 years’ experience ranging from local government, to engineering consulting, to state government, to water utility. She is passionate about the role of engineering in society, with a particular focus on improving services to Aboriginal communities in Western Australia.
- Sarah Larsen: Environmental Officer, Department of Water and Envionmental Regulation
"Our natural systems are under ever increasing pressures and innovative engineering solutions will play an important role in balancing social development with the preservation of ecological systems. The next wave of engineering graduates will be at the coal-face of these massive challenges."
Mathematics and Statistics
- Carl Mackin: Australia Bureau of Statistics
- Dr John Henstridge: Managing Director, Chief Consultant Statistican, Data Analysis Australia Pty Ltd
"Being on the Mathematics and Statistics Industry Advisory Panel is one way of helping to ensure that there is a new generation of well-trained mathematical scientists that Australia needs."
John has over 40 years' experience in applying statistics and mathematics to real world problems, the last 30 in running Data Analysis Australia. Data Analysis Australia has grown to be the largest statistical and mathematical consultancy nationally, with clients in both industry and government. At various stages he has served as the Chair of the Accreditation Committee and then National President of the Statistical Society of Australia, as a member of the National Committee for the Mathematical Sciences of the Australian Academy of Science and as a member of the Technical Reference Forum for the Bureau of Meteorology’s climate change data. A large component of his current statistical work is in the legal area, where he acts as an Expert Witness.
- Geogg Riley: Alcoa
- Inge Koch: Professor of Statistics and Data Science, The University of Western Australia
- Lyle Noakes: Head of Department/Professor Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Western Australia
- Miccal Matthews: Senior Lecturer and Programme Chair (Department of Mathematics and Statistics), The University of Western Australia
- Michael Tynas: Data Science Lead, Horizon Power
“I get great satisfaction from sharing my knowledge and experiences to help the next generation in the advancement of their personal goals and society at large.”
Michael has been involved in Electronics, IT Infrastructure and Software Development for the past 40 years, and more recently in Data Science. He has particular interests in IoT Devices, Data Science and the application of data science for medical solution.
- Paula McMahon: President, Mathematical Association of Western Australia
- Romolo Cirillo: WAMPSP Teacher, The Mathematical Association of WA
"The biggest satisfaction I get from being on the Mathematics Industry Advisory Panel at UWA is sharing my knowledge and experience about mathematics (and STEM) education and how the changing demands/needs of the C21 impact on the Mathematics education needs of students, and teachers in schools and Universities."
Romolo has been a secondary school Mathematics educator for 45 years' and a life member of MAWA (The Mathematical Association of Western Australia). He is the current Treasurer of AAMT (Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers) and MAWA’s representative on the governance committee of the WA STEM Education Consortium. He has also been a Mathematics consultant for SCSA (School Curriculum and Standards Authority WA) and member of the Australian Curriculum Advisory Panel.
- Suzie Harman: Principal Consultant – Curriculum and Assessment, School Curriculum and Standards, Department of Education
"The IAP has given me insight into developing and supporting connections between senior secondary maths, tertiary courses and workplace expectations."
Suzie has been teaching secondary mathematics for 26 years. Her current role at SCSA includes overseeing all aspects of ATAR Mathematics courses including curriculum, assessment and moderation.
- Chris Sayer: Mechanical Engineer
"After over 40 years' of engineering practise, I wanted to share my experience with young prospective engineers. My hope is to have some small influence on areas of the course that I believe are important for all mechanical engineers."
Chris graduated from UWA in 1969 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Chris has over 40 years' experience in a wide range of engineering fields, including engine research and design, automotive electrical product testing and manufacturing, and machinery design. Prior to becoming a self employed Mechanical Engineer, Chris worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer at Orontide for 10 year's and as a Design Engineer at Orbital Engine Corporation for 21 year's.
- Gareth Bamford: GM – Gas Assets, Santos
“It is satisfying being able to contribute in shaping the next generation of graduates from UWA to prepare them for their careers. The collaboration between Industry and the University will make a material difference to the capability of the students.”
Gareth graduated from UWA with an Engineering Honours and Commerce degree in 1995. He has worked in the oil and gas industry for over 20 years, spending a considerable amount of time in Southeast Asia and more recently in Australia. He currently holds the position of Manager Gas Assets for Santos. His areas of expertise include production operations and major project development.
- Karl Hofmann: Plant Engineer, Hofmann Engineering
"University bodies and industry need to cooperate to achieve a common goal of technological development by training well rounded students and staff with the capacity to generate a significant impact in their given field."
- Malcolm Greenway: Mine Shaft Systems Consultant, Jacobs
"Being on the Mining Industry Advisory Board at UWA allows me to give something back to the University, the students and the approach to their education from my employment and educational experiences over many years."
Malcolm has over 40 years’ experience in project management, design, and R&D management in Australia, South Africa, UK and US. He has a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering and is a Rhodes Scholar.
- Mark Azzopardi: Business Development Director, OGS Group
- Richard Gerritse: Chief Mechanical Engineer, Woodside Energy Ltd
"Being on the IAP for the School of Mechanical Engineering at UWA provides me that wonderful opportunity to 'pay forward'."
- Andrew Cooper: Mine Planning Manager, BHP
"I enjoy my involvement to the Mining Industry Advisory Board at UWA as it is an opportunity to contribute to forming the education of our industries future professionals."
Andrew is a Mining Engineer and experienced Mining Manager with over 19 years' experience in large scale iron ore, underground gold, base metals, and diamond mines within Australia. He is results orientated in delivering operational management, life of mine technical planning, feasibility studies, operational/production ramp-ups and productivity/cost/process business improvement.
- Brad Webb: Mine Manager, Brockman 4, Rio Tinto
- Catherine Callow: Approval Manager-Studies, FMG
- Christopher Colbourne: Vice President Mining, BBIG
“Being part of the Mining Industry Advisory Board at UWA give me the chance to help shape the mining engineers of the future and give something back to the industry that has been so good for me and my family.”
Chris is a mining professional with 30 years’ experience and a proven leadership record at senior levels in Australia and internationally across multiple commodities and aspects of mining from concept to closure. Deep expertise in business, mining operational and technical leadership, technical risk, joint venture management, technology, innovation and project execution in both surface and underground mines.
- Dan Page: Superintendent Mine Planning and Integration, BHP
"Having experienced the value of a UWA Engineering Degree throughout my career I’m excited about the opportunity to reconnect with the university and give back to the faculty by helping guide the ongoing education of future industry professionals."
Dan is a Mining Engineer with over 10 years’ experience in large scale surface mining operations. In this time Dan has gained first-hand experience, and led teams, across all mine planning and design roles in the short to medium term horizon whilst also spending several years in front line operational leadership roles and as a designated Quarry Manger. Dan’s passion is for mentoring others and driving operational excellence and to that end Dan and his team currently oversee the BHP Graduate Program for Mining Engineers as well as all mentoring, improvement and optimisation initiatives across the Mining Engineering teams in the Iron Ore division.
- Leon Fouche: Practice Leader, Mine Engineer, Rio Tinto
- Mark Boon: Director MAB Mining Services
"I have a strong passion about the mining industry and its continuing relevance plus what it has to offer for people prepared to take on a career in this field. To be part of assisting in connecting the operations and academic streams provides me with a strong sense of achievement."
Mark has 40 years' experience in the Australian mining industry, having started as a Mining Cadet in Broken Hill at CRA’s Zinc Corporation in the early 80s. Mark’s experience has covered a number of leadership positions in operations and technical functions, across a number of commodities within Australia.
- Scott McEwing: Principal Consultant, SRK Consulting
"Being on the Mining Industry Advisory Board at UWA allows me to give contribute with an industry perspective to the university."
Scott is a mining engineer with over 20 years’ experience in mining. Scott has worked in underground and open pit mining operations in Australia at Golden Grove and Boddington Gold Mine, and in New Zealand at the Martha Mine. Scott joined SRK Consulting in 2001 and currently works in Due Diligence, Project Management and with technical mine planning arenas.