Education FAQs for Master of Teaching (Primary)

Frequently asked questions for students considering studying the Master of Teaching (Primary).

What are the closing dates for application to the Master of Teaching (Primary) and where do I apply?

All students will be able to apply online. For more information review the Master of Teaching (Primary) how to apply information for closing dates, for:

What is the selection process for entry to the Master of Teaching (Primary)?

Selection is competitive and is based on the AITSL program entry standards ( Entrants are selected according to academic and non-academic characteristics. All applicants must submit a personal statement based on AITSL program entry standards and inherent requirements. The GSE Personal Statement template must be used. The minimum WAM for entry is 60% although in some circumstances this cut-off can be waived if the applicant has relevant work experience or other relevant mitigating circumstances. In such cases, the candidate may be invited for an interview.

How long is the course?

The Master of Teaching (Primary) is a 1.5 year full-time course. It is also available part-time. Please note that part-time does not mean after hours.

Where can I find information on fees?
Fee information.

International students should review the international fees or contact the fees team via AskUWA.
Do I need to attend the compulsory teacher induction?

A compulsory teacher induction day is held the week before formal classes commence. It is very important to attend as you will also receive important information about the course.

Are there any pre requisites for the Master of Teaching (Primary)?

The pre-requisite for the Master of Teaching (Primary) is a three-year bachelor's degree. This undergraduate degree must include at least one year of full time equivalent study relevant to one or more learning areas of the primary school curriculum.

How many weeks of teaching practice are there?
For the specific dates of teaching practice please review the Graduate School of Education calendar. Pre-service teachers must be available during the scheduled professional practice periods and are required to give a full-time commitment to the school at which they are undertaking their practicum during the scheduled days.
Where can I find information on clearances required for professional practice?

You will be provided with information during Orientation and through LMS/SONIA online.

You are required to have a Working With Children Check (WWCC) and a National Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) through the Department of Education prior to commencing any school based activity or your Professional Practice.

1. A National Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) through the Department of Education (DoE).

Apply online at the Department of Education website –  Original documents will need to be verified by the Graduate School of Education at UWA.

2. A Working with Children Check (WWCC).

Application forms from any post office, or see for further information. A section of the form is to be completed by and signed by an authorised representative from the GSE. Please bring in your form to reception so this can be done prior to presenting it to the post office for processing. Please note: You need to be enrolled in a professional practice unit (or a designated unit) before the School can sign the form.

Can I study externally?
No, the course is not offered externally.
Is the workload heavy?
While the workload is not unlike that of a graduate teacher, it is heavier than in a typical undergraduate year. Although the contact time varies between teaching periods, prospective students should note that there is a great deal of out-of-class work to be done in preparation for workshops, seminars, assessment tasks and Professional Practice.
Why a Masters degree?

The Master of Teaching (Primary) degree involves two years of intensive study of education that prepares highly skilled professionals who have a deep understanding of teaching and student learning and the potential for future leadership roles.

The core component of the course is the teaching of literacy and numeracy. The program has a strong clinical focus on teaching children who have difficulty in reading and maths. Students will be introduced to the breadth of learning required in primary teaching including science, music, dance, visual arts, health and physical education and have the opportunity to practise their teaching skills in two extended school placements.

Where can I find further information regarding the course?
Review the course information. For enrolment information please visit How to apply.
Do I need to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test?

Yes. It is a requirement of the Australian Federal Government that you pass the LANTITE to demonstrate your literacy and numeracy competence. Successful completion of the LANTITE is also a requirement to pass EDUC5000 and to graduate.

Details on registering for the LANTITE, practicing the LANTITE, sitting the LANTITE and receiving your results can be found at Please pay particular attention to the test windows and when your results are released. You will need to provide us with proof of successful completion of the LANTITE to pass EDUC5000 and to graduate.