School Leadership in Challenging Circumstances
Understand the nature of the context within which school leaders work in post-conflict environments
Generate robust examples of school leadership exercised in post-conflict environments
Inform processes of school leadership preparation, continuous development and support in post-conflict environments
Post-conflict research group thrives
UWA’s Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education’s post-conflict research group has grown this year to a vibrant research community of five doctoral scholars, each with their own area of speciality.Read more
Rebuilding broken schools
Providing food, shelter and health care used to be the priority in post-conflict zones. But in contemporary conflicts, where communities are torn apart by years of violent civil war, schooling for children has emerged as the most important single priority for maintaining communities, aiding the psychological recovery of children and for the general recovery of society.Read more
In order to undertake a PhD in this area, we suggest candidates read the following books and articles to support their studies.
- Kheang. T., O’Donoghue, T. and Clarke, S. (2018). Primary School Leadership in Cambodia: Context-Bound Teaching and Leading (London and New York: Palgrave Macmillan) (ISBN: 978-3-319-76323-1)
- Karareba, G., Clarke, S., and O’Donoghue, T. (2017) Primary School Leadership in Post-conflict Rwanda: A Narrative Arc (London and New York: Palgrave Macmillan) (ISBN: 978-3-319-60263-9)
- Clarke, S. and O’Donoghue, T. (eds) (2016). School Leadership in Diverse Contexts (London: Routledge) (ISBN: 9781138817326)
- Zuniga, C.G., O’Donoghue, T., and Clarke, S. (2015). A Study of the Secondary School History Curriculum in Chile from Colonial Times to the Present (Rotterdam: Sense Publishers) (ISBN: 9789462099241)
- Clarke, S. and O’Donoghue, T.A. (eds) (2013). School-level Leadership in Post-conflict Societies: The Importance of Context (London: Routledge) (ISBN: 970-0-415-68709-6)
- O’Donoghue, T.A. and Clarke, S. (2010). Leading Learning: Process, Themes and Issues in International Contexts (London: Routledge) (ISBN: 978-0-415-33613-0)
- O’Donoghue, T.A. (in press for 2018). Planning Your Qualitative Research Project and Thesis in Education and the Social Sciences: A Beginner’s Guide (London: Routledge)
Doctor of Education
Doctor of Education
Master of Educational Leadership - Coursework
Update your professional knowledge in educational leadership.
Master of Education
Further your career in education with a master's degree from UWA.
Graduate School of Education
The Graduate School of Education at UWA stands in the top five schools of education in Australia and has been teaching educators for more than 100 years.