Skip to navigation Skip to content

Reports and Complaints

The use of the terms report and complaint can be quite confusing at times. A report/complaint can be received by UWA in many ways including:

  • direct contact via phone calls or in person;
  • via email or other electronic methods;
  • in writing by letter or via our online reporting form; or
  • in reports made by staff, students or UWA Security.

What these all have in common is that a person or an agency is letting us know that something has happened and there is usually an expectation that UWA will investigate the matter.

One of the main differences between a report and a complaint is that in a complaint, the complainant is usually the person directly affected and they are usually seeking some type of resolution.

Irrespective of what it is called, the University takes all reports/complaints seriously.  Listed below are the different types of reports/complaints that can be made and how to make them.

  • Lodge a complaint

    Find out more about the types of complaints you can make and the complaint process via the ISU Complaint Resolution page.

    Students and members of the public can lodge a complaint via the Public Report and staff can use this same portal to report for non-employment related matters.

    Staff with complaints relating to their employment should discuss this first, where possible, with their line-manager and can further discuss concerns with:

    1. [email protected] regarding pay, leave accruals, payments, contracts etc;
    2. Human Resources Business Partnering Team
  • Lodge a request for a review
  • Lodge a research related complaint

    Please refer first to the information available at:

    Any research complaint lodged will be considered under the ‘Guide to Managing and Investigating Potential Breaches of the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research, 2018'.

    Anyone can make a complaint about research conduct to UWA via the Public Report.

  • Lodge an external complaint or report


    Students are usually expected to have accessed internal University processes before they are accepted by an external body.   It will be up to the external agency as to if they will consider a complaint without the University process being completed.  Common external avenues for complainants include the State Ombudsman and the Equal Opportunity Commission.


    Employees with grievances or allegations of corruption have the right to approach external bodies such as the:


    If you are dissatisfied with the way the University has resolved your complaint, there are external agencies you may wish to contact in respect of your complaint. These include:

  • Lodge anonymous or protected reports and complaints

    UWA recognises that some reports may be highly sensitive and that in some situations the person wanting to make a report may have concerns about making a report.  All reports/complaints are taken seriously and investigated where serious matters are raised and there is sufficient information to be considered.  There may be limitations where a report/complaint is made anonymously.

    To support those who may wish to make lodge a report/complaint, may have concerns about coming forward, and who may wish to remain anonymous, UWA has three different options:

    1. Lodge an anonymous complaint via our Public Report;
    2. Lodge an anonymous or named report to our external, independent ‘whistle-blower’ service Stopline; or
    3. Make a Public Interest Disclosure (a PID) which is a report made with protections in line with the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 (WA).

    If you have concerns about making a report/complaint and are concerned that there may be negative outcomes for you, it is recommended that make an appointment to see one of UWA’s PID Officers.  Details on how to make an appointment and what a PID is can be seen further below.

    As a preferred option where you are not sure if you wish to remain anonymous or have other concerns, it is recommended that you contact Stopline.

    If you wish to go ahead with an anonymous complaint/report, you can submit a complaint via the Public Report and do not provide any personal information.

    Public Interest Disclosures

    UWA strongly supports the reporting of any wrongdoing by a University Officer and in particular any conduct that is not in the public interest. Recognising that this may be difficult, and that the person reporting may have concerns about reprisals, UWA has in place the Public Interest Disclosure Policy [DOC, 235KB] (the PID Policy) and PID procedures. 

    The PID policy supports UWA’s commitment to the aims and goals of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 (WA) (PID Act) and the relevant whistle-blower provisions of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Corporations Act).

    If you have a concern about suspected wrongdoing and feel that you may need the protection of the PID Policy, you should not discuss your concerns with anyone and should not complete a report to UWA via the Public Report Form.

    You should contact and discuss your concerns only with a PID Officer. Further information on PID can be found on the Public Sector Commission website.

    UWAs PID Officers are:

    • Gina Barron

      Manager, Integrity and Standards Unit
    • Phone: 0457 704 628 – (either call this number or text PID to this number)
    • Chris Massey

    • Director, Student Life
    • Phone: 0408 901 889
  • Report a child safety concern

    Report a child safety concern

    If you or a child are in immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000) and if on campus contact UWA Security on 6488 2222. Out of hours, free call WA’s Child Protection and Family Support Crisis Care Unit on 1800 199 008.  Crimes can be reported to Crime Stoppers on  1800 333 000

    If you have a concern about a child’s wellbeing you can contact

    • the Department of Communities Central Intake Team on 1800 273 889; or
    • your local police on 131 444.

    Members of the University community must report incidents of suspected or alleged child exploitation or abuse related to a University activity or a member of the University community.  Staff and students in professional settings should follow internal reporting processes (for example a student on a teaching placement will have a guide on reporting for issues arising at the School).

    Before lodging a formal report, you should review the information available at [link to ISU Child Safety and Wellbeing page].

    To make a formal report about a child safety concern please consider the options below in the section Lodge anonymous or protected reports/complaints

  • Report a modern slavery concern

    Before lodging a report, you should review the information available at [link to ISU Modern Slavery page].

    If you would like to talk through your concerns further before lodging, you can test MS to 0457 704 628 or email [email protected] with Modern Slavery as the subject.

    Staff, students and members of the public who want to report a suspected modern slavery issue relating to UWA should consider the options below in the section Lodge anonymous or protected reports/complaints

  • Report foreign interference

    General matters relating to foreign interference regarding sensitive research, Defence Trade Controls, DFAT Sanctions or what you are required to declare, can be submitted by email to [email protected]

    If you think a member of the University community is acting under foreign interference, or you are experiencing harassment on this basis, you can make a time to discuss your concerns with us.  You can do this by texting Foreign Interference to 0457 704 628 or by emailing [email protected] with Foreign Interference in the subject line.

    To make a formal report about foreign please consider the options below in the section Lodge anonymous or protected reports/complaints

  • Report sexual assault or sexual harassment

    Where there is an immediate safety concern contact Emergency Services on 000, if on campus you can also contact UWA Security on (+61 8) 6488 2222.

    We understand that you may wish to consider other options before making a report and more information on services and options can be found at

    Should you wish to report something you have experienced in relation to a University activity, or something you have seen you can do so via our Public Report.

  • Report student misconduct

    Anyone can report suspected student misconduct to UWA. Where it is a complaint, the University will manage this in accordance with the:

    • Student Complaint Resolution Policy; or
    • Public Complaint Policy.

    Students and members of the public (including external agencies) can lodge via the Public Report. For the first question ‘I am reporting’ select ‘A complaint about a UWA student/s’.

    Staff report via the same Public Report, but for the first question ‘I am reporting’, they select one of the following:

    • Student academic conduct (UWA staff only);
    • Student research conduct (UWA staff only);
    • Student general conduct (UWA staff only); or
    • Student professional conduct (UWA staff only).

    It is the University’s decision as to if a student will have to respond to an allegation of misconduct and the process is managed under the University’s Regulations for student conduct and discipline

  • Report the conduct of a non-student member of the UWA community

    Should you wish to report something you have experienced in relation to a University activity, or something you have seen you can do so via our Public Report.

  • Report wrongdoing by a UWA staff member

    Wrongdoing is a term used describe specific staff conduct. It includes fraud, corruption, maladministration, serious waste of funds and other criminal activity. UWA recognises the invaluable contribution of those who report suspected wrongdoing and under both law and policy will support those coming forward.

    Students are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the Integrity and Standards Unit and where appropriate seek support from Guild Student Assist.

    Staff should wherever possible raise any concern of wrongdoing with their line-manager or a senior member of staff.

    Staff, students, and members of the public who want to report suspected wrongdoing should consider the options below in the section Lodge an anonymous, or protected, complaint or report.

Cookies help us improve your website experience. By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.