1st in Australia and 16th in the world for Agricultural Sciences (ARWU 2021)
1st in Australia and 21st in the world for Environmental Science and Engineering (ARWU 2021)
Key research areas
Our research is focused on five key areas:
- Animal production
Our researchers investigate extensive rangeland systems and mixed crop-pasture systems in the quest for expansion and improvement opportunities and clean, green and ethical animal production.
- Genetics and breeding
Research and student training in genetics and breeding spans traditional and molecular genetic approaches to improve economically important production traits in our crops, pastures and livestock. Our work has application in Australia as well as overseas countries including China, India, Bangladesh and Timor Leste.
- Crop and pasture production
Research in crop and pasture production occurs across molecular and physiological processes, nutrition and disease control, and in-field agronomy, using traditional and state-of-the art technology.
- Soil science and plant nutrition
Agricultural-based research and teaching in soil science and plant nutrition focuses on land management practices and climate on agricultural soils. By combining molecular, isotopic and spatial imaging techniques, our researchers have gained detailed insights into the day-to-day life of soil and how best to manage and sustain this important resource.
- Farming systems
Our work in farming systems is targeted towards choosing and breeding the right plants and animals for the right environment to develop management strategies that maximise profitability and minimise the impacts on the environment.
Our researchers contribute to advancing agricultural education and research through a range of groups, centres and programs focused on specialised areas.
- Head of School
- Department Head Agricultural Science
- Academic staff
- Associate Professor Fran Hoyle
- Associate Professor Guijun Yan
- Associate Professor Louise Barton
- Associate Professor Megan Ryan
- Associate Professor Phillip Nichols
- Associate Professor Roberta Bencini
- Associate Professor William Erskine
- Professor Hugh Beckie
- Professor Martin Barbetti
- Professor Phil Vercoe
- Professor Tim Colmer
- Professor Zed Rengel
- Senior Lecturer Dominique Blache
- Senior Lecturer Ken Flower
- Research staff
- Research Associate Kelsey Pool
- Research Fellow Paul Damon
- Senior Research Fellow Janine Croser
- Senior Research Fellow Judith Lichtenzveig
- Senior Research Fellow Roberto Busi
- Senior Research Fellow Zakaria Solaiman
- Senior Research Officer Bradley Wintle
- Senior Research Officer Daniel Kidd
- Senior Research Officer Kevin Foster
- Senior Research Officer Mechelle Owen
- Senior Research Officer Roberto Lujan Rocha
- Senior Research Officer Theo Pfaff-Lichtenzveig
- Senior Scientific Officer Ian Waite
- Emeritus, Honorary and Adjunct