Studies in Western Australian History began as University Studies in History and Economics, first published in 1934. Six volumes were published up to 1956. In 1957 the name was changed to University Studies in Western Australian History with four volumes up to 1960. The title changed again in 1961 to University Studies in History with nine volumes published up to 1970.
In the lead-up to the 150th anniversary of Western Australia, the journal was renamed as Studies in Western Australian History in 1977. Publication and management of SWAH came under the aegis of the Centre for Western Australian History in 1989. Thirty-two volumes have been published under the SWAH banner.