Assoc/Prof Donna Geddes
Research Associate Professor
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Contact details
- School of Chemistry and Biochemistry
The University of Western Australia (M310)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 6488 7006
- 6488 7086
- Room 2.04, Bayliss Building, Crawley campus
- DMU PhD W.Aust.
- Donna is a Postdoctoral Fellow working with the Hartmann Human Lactation Research Group. She is involved in both the research and management of the group. Donna has a medical imaging background with an emphasis in ultrasound imaging. She has integrated this modality into many of the group’s studies providing a ‘window’ to different physiological processes during lactation. Donna’s work has attracted much international attention.
- Key research
- Donna has a broad range of research interests in the physiology of lactation extending from basic to applied research. In particular she utilizes her ultrasound imaging skills to assess the lactating breast (anatomy, milk ejection and blood flow) as well as the infant (suck-swallow-breathe, gastric emptying and body composition).
- Lau C, Geddes DT, Mizuno K, Schaal B. The Development of Oral Feeding Skills in Infants. International Journal of Pediatrics.
Geddes DT, Prescott SL. Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: the role of breastmilk in preventing disease in the 21st century. Journal of Human Lactation 2013; 29(2):123-7
Garbin CP, Sakalidis VS, Chadwick LM, Whan E, Hartmann PE. Geddes DT. Evidence of Improved Milk Intake after Frenotomy – a case study. Pediatrics (in press)
Sakalidis VS, Kent JC, Garbin, CP, Hepworth A,R Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. Longitudinal changes in suck-swallow-breathe, oxygen saturation, and heart rate patterns in term breastfeeding infants. Journal of Human Lactation 2013; 29(2):236-45
Sakalidis VS, Williams TM, Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. Ultrasound Imaging of Infant Sucking Dynamics during the Establishment of Lactation. Journal of Human Lactation 2013 May;29(2):205-13
Sakalidis VS, McClellan H, Hepworth A, Kent J, Lai CT, Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. Oxygen saturation and suck-swallow-breathe coordination of term infants during breastfeeding and feeding from a teat releasing milk only with vacuum. International Journal of Pediatrics. 2012:130769
Sakalidis VS, Williams TM, Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. A comparison of early sucking dynamics during breastfeeding after caesarean section and vaginal birth. Breastfeeding Medicine 2013 Feb;8(1):79-85.
Perrella S, Nathan E, Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. Influences on breastfeeding outcomes for healthy term and preterm/sick infants. Breastfeeding Medicine. 2012;7:255-61.
McClellan HL, Hepworth AR, Garbin CP, Rowan MK, Deacon J, Hartmann PE, Geddes DT. Nipple pain during breastfeeding with or without visible trauma. Journal of Human Lactation. 2012;28:511-21.
Hassiotou F, Geddes DT, Hartmann PE. Cells in Human Milk: state of the science. Journal of Human Lactation. 2013; 29(2):171-82
Hassiotou F, Geddes DT. Antomy of the human mammary gland: Current status of knowledge. Journal of Clinical Anatomy, 2012
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Editorial Positions
•Guest Editor – ‘Down Under’ edition – Journal of Human Lactation
•Guest Co-editor – International Journal of Pediatrics (Special Edition Infant feeding, 2012)
•Consultant Editor – Journal of Human Lactation
Reviewer Scientific Journals
•Early Human Development
•European Journal of Surgery
•Journal of Human Lactation
•Mary Paton Award Judge
•Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Future research
- Donna’s future research encompasses the appetite control mechanisms of the breastfed infant.
- Funding received
- •2007-2015: Medela AG – Research Fellow/Chief Investigator
•Woman and Infants Research Foundation (WIRF) Grant for researching the relationship between sucking, swallowing and breathing in healthy term breastfeeding infants and those experiencing difficulties.
- •Nutrition Society of Australia
•International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation
•Australian Sonographers Accreditation Board
- Honours and awards
- •2008 Early Career Research Award for ISRHML
•2008 Certificate of Distinction for Innovative Research from the Raine Foundation
•2007 Healthy Children Faculty Award
- Previous positions
- •Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Western Australia
•Senior Ultrasonographer , Perth Imaging
- •Carr, L., Dettling, M., Luzbetak, M.A., Silver, B.H., Sutrina, T., Hartmann, P.E., Mitoulas, L., Geddes, D.T., Kent, J.C. Synchronized diaphragm breast pump pumping cycle pressure control system. World Intellectual Property Organisation – WO 2008/127991 A1. 23 October 2008
•Geddes, D.T. Method for yielding maximum expression in breastpumping. World Intellectual Property Organisation – WO 2008/034192 A1. 27 March 2008
•Hartmann, P.E. Geddes, D.T., Kent, J.C., Cregan, M.D. Breastpump. World Intellectual Property Organisation – WO 2007/059642 A1. 31 May 2007.
- Useful links
- Current projects
- Appetite control factors in breastmilk
Gastric emptying of term and preterm infants
Milk removal during breast expression.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications