Graduate entry to Optometry
This page provides information for graduate entry applicants to the Doctor of Optometry (DOpt).
Bachelor degree in Biomedical Science holders or students who are in progress of their first bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Science may be eligible to apply for graduate entry into the Doctor of Optometry (DOpt). Students who are in progress of their first bachelor’s degree may apply during their final year, with any course offer being conditional on completion of all bachelor’s degree requirements by 31 December of the year prior to commencement in the DOpt.
Graduate entry into the DOpt is a competitive process based on GPA and an interview process. Places are limited and are awarded to the highest-ranking applicants.
To be considered for admission into the DOpt, an applicant must have:
- a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Science at UWA, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA. Recognised bachelor’s degrees are those conferred by Australian universities or higher education institutions recognised by the Australian Qualifications Framework or the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR).
- the equivalent of a Faculty Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 5.0 - refer to information below regarding the GPA calculation method
- demonstrated adequate knowledge of each of the following: chemistry (at year 12 or tertiary level) and mathematics (year 12 or tertiary level mathematics or statistics)
- a current Australian Police Certificate, or equivalent certification, indicating no criminal convictions. The currency of a National Police Certificate is 12 months.
Applicants who can meet the prerequisites are initially ranked according to GPA, with the highest-ranking applicants being offered an interview.
After the interviews, candidates will be ranked by GPA and interview score (equally weighted), with the highest-ranking applicants being offered a place.
Please refer to further details under the headings below.
- Eligibility criteria
- The Dean’s List of Commonwealth Supported Places in the Doctor of Optometry
- English language competency requirement
- Application timelines and due dates
- Final ranking for course offers
- Degree completion – conditional offers
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Registration upon completion